Westbend help

Got this westbend today pull starter wasn't returning properly but the engine wasn't seized so I didnt worry about it to much I took the pull starter off and oiled it now it returns fine but it's not turning over the engine am I doing some thing wrong or dose this pull starter just not work on this engine thanks for any help in advance.

The pawls come out but don't engage eny thing they seem to just slip. The circular thing you see one the inside of the pull starter fits in side the round part coming off the engine

if i was you id be wrap-and pulling. :scooter:

there should be ridges on the inside of the starter cup. if there isnt then it wont work, you need to find a starter cup that does.

there should be ridges on the inside of the starter cup. if there isnt then it wont work, you need to find a starter cup that does.[/QUOTE]

Ya that's what I thought just didn't want to start the search if I was just doing some thing wrong thanks for all the help guys eny one know where I can find a starter cup with the rite ridges inside the starter cup?

there should be ridges on the inside of the starter cup. if there isnt then it wont work, you need to find a starter cup that does.
I disagree. The starter cup is aluminum, and the pawls are steel. When you pull the rope, the pawls extend and "bite" into the cup. The pawls should have an edge on them (like an ice skate, NOT sharp like a knife). They do get worn out, lets see some close up pics of em.
I have several brand new starter cups and they all are smooth on the inside, they get the ridges from use. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Hmmm, the starter cup looks ok, still a little hard to tell on the pawls though. I'll try to get some pics up tonight of a new set:thumbsup:

MB165

been a while since Ive seen one of those in our shop.
A few things to try....
flip the pawl assy over
wipe off the lubricant, that type of starter uses drag, like a fishing reel to engege the pawls to the cup
if I remember correctly there should be fiber washers on each side of the pawl plate.
hope you get it running
Pete

Tryed flipping the pawl assembly over didn't work the paws would then only open up when the rope returned. Tryed also removing the lubricant. It's still slipping. Thanks for all the help guys it's very appreciated.:thumbsup:

Those fairbanks-morse starters are the most over engineered pieces of crap there is-or was. Someone suggested flipping the pawls but I think you flipped them the wrong way. If you study the last pict of that thing it is obvious one leg of each one is worn and shorter than the other. You need to flip basically 180 degrees. Also replacing them is probably your best bet-if you can find them and/or find a starter cup with ridges. Yes they used these as well. That setup kinda works on the "wedge" or rocker concept and once it all gets worn it just isn't going to work. I would flip 180 assuming the pawls are symetrical and cut some grooves into the cup with a hacksaw blade or an engraver but it's not a forever fix. Replace the cup and the pawls. I have been here done this more than once.

Last edited:
Just fyi what happened is you flipped both pawls as well as the center (holder or cam) assembly over-you basically went outside to inside,that is why it works backwards. I guess the best way to explain is flip it end for end-hope this makes sense.

well after some confusion (on my part) on which way to flip/rotate the pawls. I decided to just go threw all the possibilities again. It worked! not sure which way I rotated them this time but they now grab. They only grab when the rope is about two thirds of the way out tho so i will still be ordering a new set of pawls for now. Thank you OldMiniBikes members for all the help.:thumbsup: