What brand of snowmobile torque converter?

So the 3/4" bore can always be adapted to 1" clutch bore with an adapter, possibly more. Has anyone tried it? I am wanting to know what brand and name clutch can be used. Mainly 3/4" or 1" snowmobile Torque converters.

I am asking because the power and rpm i need will exceed a gokart torque converters rating. I have dreams of building a light weight performance car. It would be a ton easier with help BUT don't expect it any time soon because i'm searching for jobs for extra income. But once it gets done i would be more than happy to show it off.

Best part is the total cost would be less than $5000 !,If i custom fabricate the vehicle my self. Should include custom design fiberglass panelling and roll cage too.

Last edited:

bruces

Snowmobile torque converters are tapered shaft ,if you want info on them a comet catalogue would probably be the best to find general info about sizing ,application etc .

MikeBear

Wouldn't snowmobile torque converters also be for 2 stroke engines? Meaning they probably don't engage until you have much higher rpms going. So, if the engine you are going to use is a 4 stroke, that might cause issues since they run at lower rpms.

bruces

Yes ,most used to be two strokes but since the 2000's many have switched to four stroke engines .Most of the aftermarket clutches have different calibrations available , so pretty sure he can come up with something that would work .

Wouldn't snowmobile torque converters also be for 2 stroke engines? Meaning they probably don't engage until you have much higher rpms going. So, if the engine you are going to use is a 4 stroke, that might cause issues since they run at lower rpms.
Thanks for running that by me. Very valuable info right there.
So i searched and the lowest RPM engagement i heard someone run so far was 3500RPM.

I haven't researched how to tune a snowmobile clutch yet to see if i can bring the engagement much lower.
i guess it will come down to clutch tuning. gear ratio, tire size, and perhaps fine tuning the engine as well such as camshaft choice.

Golf carts use CVTs of same design, and engage low & slow. Heavier weights, softer springs.
Most use the same 30mm tapered shaft like modern sleds. Adapters for the shaft are available.
3 4" Gas Golf Cart Tapered Drive Clutch Shaft Adapter Predator Honda Clone Motor | eBay

Also, Comet and others make clutches for the straight shaft. 780 model comes all sorts of ways.

3/4" engines normally don't make the torque to push a 4-wheel vehicle well, unless very light and low drag.