whats the best gearing setup?

twerkd

building a clone for my db whats a good all around gear ratio ? i mainly ride around my house which is asphalt and i aslo take it to the mountians and trail ride:shrug:

I have two, one with 12/70 which is great for trails as well as nieghborhood cruising, although the DirtBug tires are not too street friendly (too much friction)! The other had 12/66 and is'nt as quick off the line but top speed is way more! For steep inclines I'd reccomend a TAV but I'm not mach of an authority on the subject, I do know how they work and that they are better suited for the mountainous terrain. You can change the gearing to suit your needs, but if you want mega low end gearing for climbing steep inclines top end will suffer! A two speed jackshaft could be your best bet, but would require some serious modification! 12/70 which is probably what you're running now is a safe bet!:thumbsup:

Our JS system will help you tune the gearing to your needs.
6.5hp DB30 Install Parts

My personal favorite is to use the 13-15t sprockets.
Run the 15t outboard for a high torque-quick acceleration 6.73-1
Switch the 13t sprocket to the outboard position in a matter of minutes and have a high speed ratio of 5.03-1

vette66_00

No body has replied because its been discussed before. The gearing all depends on your motor build and what riding you do the most.

You will have to gear your bike to the hardest thing you want it to do. Let say going up a hill on a stock engine. Depending on the hill Grade you maybe ok with the stock gearing or even lower geared say a 76.

But on the other end is the speed for ever tooth you add or subtract you will either gain 1.3 mph or lose 1.3 mph (figuring you have a 13 tooth clutch) IF you engine can pull a higher gear that is.

If you ride on flat ground a climbing gear may not be super fun on the flat. And same with a flat ground gear it will not climb a descent hill.

Also you have to understand that most people are at work. And there are thousands of people that visit this site and may not even be logged on. So page views are just that.

You could'nt have had better members weigh in on your question, as I said I'm no TAV or jackshaft expert but both these guys have forgotten more than I know on the subject! And Vette66__00 said it best, most people are at work thus time of day so be patient, sometimes even in the evening a thread can go unanswered. Just the nature of a forum! Good luck, hope you find a happy medium as your gearing goes!:thumbsup: