Which mini bike kit to buy?

Dlev

Does anyone have any recommendations for mini bike kits. I am considering the Azusa AZ3542 with 8" wheels, the Road Rocket or the Hornet mini bike kits. If you have a particular preference, please state why! Thanks for your help.

Why not go on your local CraigsList and get a vintage bike?

Is there a reason you would prefer a new kit?

I can't speak for all here, But I know I love fixing up the old bikes.

Putting together a kit would not have the same appeal to me as bring back to life something that had sat dormant for years.

I guess it depends on what you're looking to do. Rebuilding a vintage bike can be pretty expensive. Are you wanting to put more into the engine build, or are you just looking to build something with a stock motor? I prefer putting more into my engine builds. I recently bought a vintage Bird mini, and it's gonna cost a lot more for me to get this thing on the road than I thought. I probably would have been better to just buy a used Doodle (I really want an old style DB). I like the looks of the Azusa kits. I can't speak for their quality because I've never build one.

What will you be doing with this bike? Off-road stuff? Mainly street riding? This all matters. Also, how big of a guy are you? My bird is so small! I fit better on my DB (new style). I'm going to bend up some steel and build a frame for me, but I have free access to a shop with a mill, lathe, mandrel bender, etc. I'm not a fab guy, and my welds are terrible. However, I have buddies that will do that for me.

Last edited:
Hey Diev, welcome to OldMiniBikes.

Allied Leisure still makes Lil Indian frames which I'm a big fan of. Bad Dog makes some interesting large frame and off-road type things, which I have one. Taco is still around of course, and Azusa. El Bandito has a stretch frame kit if you're looking to put a drag bike together. If your not particular there are very many old Doodlebug (DB30) minibikes out there going for like $150-200 on Craigslist, for which there are lots of aftermarket engines, parts n goodies to trick that bike out nice.

Your job now is to study this site and pictures, see what's out there, see what other folks are doing, and go with what resonates with you whether vintage or new. And have fun!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Dlev

I am modifying a predator 212 engine. This is my first project! I am really building this for something to do and to learn about engines and the process. I am planning on selling the bike after I am done and doing another one. I am 5' 11' and 170 pounds.