Windber, How much money does it cost you guys for the weekend?

capguncowboy

Wow guys, It is touching how much all of you are encouraging me to go. No I didn't really create the thread to talk myself out of it. I wanted to find out how much it costs to go. As I was finding out I was researching it. I can clearly see it isn't what I first thought. I've been to too many loud events before and "assumed" this would be another one. I don't drink so no worries of me with any open containers.
I have a full size van and once I load a few mini's in it and my swap stuff, there won't be much room for a lot of camping gear. I have a minibike for sale now and it looks like the profit money from that will help fund the trip. Of course that would have to be one of the bikes I take.
Windber is 3 weeks away. I have some things to do around my household and should be able to get everything done in time. If I sell some items there I can fund my return trip as long as I don't buy more than I sell... Now I almost talked myself into going.
Thanks guys...

Danford1
You can also pick through Jeff's barn and make a few bucks when you get back too. Consider it a picker's weekend :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing everyone there

Aren't the build off bikes going to be there? Look through the build threads. There are a lot of straight pipes on them plus 2 strokes with open pipes, no mufflers. Don't people ride their build off bikes?
I have a full size van and once I load a few mini's in it and my swap stuff, there won't be much room for a lot of camping gear.
Dan, not very many of the guys/gals in the build off go to Windber, and most of us that are have muffler options :thumbsup: There aren't very many 2 strokes there at all :thumbsup: Most generators are off by 10 except those for c-pap units and those are quiet ones :thumbsup: As far as camping gear, you have a full sized van, pull your stuff out and use an air mattress, you can trust everyone there :thumbsup: Oh don't worry about a foot pump there are a lot of us there with small compressors :thumbsup:

I would guess there is over a 1000 mini bikes at the reunion. Everybody brings 3 or more bikes and there is about 350 people that ride in the parade. I fit 4 bikes and all my stuff in a Toyota Tacoma pick-up. Bring a canopy. I sleep in my truck with the back seat down.:laugh: Just bring a air matress and sleep in your van.:thumbsup:

Dan , this is our first year going , look for my camper and camp near us , my wife will be staying close to the camper all weekend and can watch your swap meet stuff and if your worried about food you can cook out with us , from everyone I have talked to about this event this is one not to miss , we are getting there on thrusday about noon , come to the event I don't think you will be sorry , first trip 2017.jpg

Windber is a great trip. Sure, there will be a couple of times when kids/adults do something a little risky. Yes, 300+ bikes idling before the parade will make anybody's ears hurt. Dirt bikes have been banned, and riders tend to use the trails. Even muffled, some bikes are going to be loud (sausage mufflers can only do so much). Well tuned, those are sweet sounds.

I like to walk around, take the bikes out for quick spins (the back is still healing), tell lies with the "guys" and have fun. I have a 18ft camper I tow with my Dakota, bring 3 or more bikes, grill and my buddy and I chill out. Generators go silent pretty early and, like Manchester, we crash before 9 and are up with the chickens. We spend under $400 with a 350 mile round trip at 9 mpg.

Street Smart

This will be my fourth year going! Unfortunately I don`t get there till Friday night, but any time there is sooo enjoyable.The parade is a blast, I missed it the first year, got there late. I`m the quiet guy walking around with my Street Smart tee shirt on, lol.

I thought of sleeping in the van. That is still an option. I don't have a canopy but I do have a small tent, 8x8 or 10 x10 something like that. I haven't used it in years. I better see if mice ate holes in it or not... I have a blow up mattress and a sleeping bag. I know I won't need much but then again I can't bring much :)

I was watching some videos from Windber parades. I was shocked to see so many dirt bikes and motorcycles. There was even a full size Harley in the parade. I thought this was a minibike event. Are dirt bikes allowed? I saw 3 wheelers, are go carts allowed also?

Danford1

Last edited:

Rupp 72

Strictly stock minibikes in the parade, Jeff is really enforcing that rule this year as it was getting out of hand in the past couple years.

Are Honda and Yamaha dirt type bikes considered minibikes? In the videos it looks like 25% of the "minibikes" were Honda's.
Lot's of bikes with a manual clutch and a transmission.
I guess I would need to read the rules to see what is considered a minibike let alone a stock minibike. Is a 3 wheeler a minibike? What about the quads?
Where can I find the rules? My quick search didn't land on them.

Thanks for the help and encouragement guys. I really do appreciate it...

Danford1

capguncowboy

It's been a year since I was there, but I don't recall seeing any quads or three wheelers there. There were a few trikes, but they mostly stuck to the trails. There are a lot of small Japanese bikes there, but they're mostly just for the parade.

Last year, there was a guy with a vintage 90CC dirtbike running a straight pipe. The guy was an asshole and raced his bike back and forth in the campgrounds, which is forbidden. It went mostly overlooked until he decided to do it while Jeff was doing the raffle over the PA system and Jeff black tagged his bike in front of everyone. From what I was told, that guy is no longer welcome. Jeff did announce over the PA later that evening, that he wanted to get back to it being a mini bike reunion and limit the 2-strokes to CT70s. Outside of the parade, I doubt you'll see or hear too many, if any at all.

Someone posted the rules up in the Windber event thread. I'll see if I can dig it up. Mostly, it's just common sense (no drugs, no drinking and riding, be respectful, don't race in the camping area, don't trash the trails, etc).

I always thought a 3 wheeler and a trike were the same thing... 3 wheels...
The rules say No Quads, 3 wheelers or modern dirt bikes. The videos I watched had all of those in them.
In the background you could hear ring ding dirt bikes running through the gears. Are the riding trails right next to the campgrounds?
Is there any sort of map of Jeff's property?

Thanks again.

Danford1

Dude, we all go with the flow. If someone is out of control, it is taken care of quickly. You are making me a nervous wreck and i have been there before. Lol. The best event for mini bike enthusiasts you will ever find.

You use to be able to ride anything you wanted in the parade. Jeff is cracking down on that. The trikes are like a vintage mini bike but he really doesn't like those either. Now if your a old lady, I can bring my trike.:wink:

These types of trikes are allowed... minibike in the front and a gokart in the back. Pullstart. Not like the later ATC style with gears or that sit upright like a quad. The older vintage Hondas are allowed like the little 50cc Honda Monkey bikes and the CT70's(4stroke btw not 2 stroke) so basically vintage stuff like that maybe even a Trail90 but just for putting around. The theme this year , after last year is go slow and have fun. If you have something with suspension it is recommended. It gets bumpy. I have a Heald VT5 with a clone that is the perfect field rider. The trike is too but I might leave it at home this year and just bring the bikes. BUT even if I didn't have something to ride.....this event is a must.... If I didnt have a truck or trailer I would drive there and rent a UHaul to sleep in if I had to...