Would OldMiniBikes like to have a forum for PhatMoto and other motorized bicycles?

Hello Community,
I have been researching the PhatMoto Rover and All Terrain motorized bicycles.
These motorized bicycles have engine and drive trains similar to mini bikes. I. e. a bolt-on
4 cycle engine and a centrifugal clutch. The community of PhatMoto people is growing fast.
I believe that in the future, many third party improved parts and accessories will be available.
We, at OldMiniBikes, should have the PhatMoto community join OldMiniBikes. I am seeing that many
members of the PhatMoto community have put Predator 212 cc engines and TAV's on the PhatMoto
bicycles. Some of the big advantages I see of the PhatMoto bicycles is the larger frame
is more suited for an adult to ride, the fat 26" tires are better for rough terrain, and the PhatMoto
is legal on public roads in every state, from what can tell. In my opinion, the difficulty of
legally riding a minibike on public roads has been a set-back. In NH, there is almost zero chance
of riding a minibike on public streets. However, the ruling authorities have no problem with
E-Bicycles and motorized bicycles running on the streets.

A PhatMoto bicycle is just begging to have an old style USA-Made flat head 4-stroke put on it to replace the
80cc OHV Chinese Lifan engine, which does not have a good reputation. For you minibike engine builders, I
think a large new market is growing to supply high-quality USA small engines to the PhatMoto bicycle
community.

I would like to see the
OldMiniBikes community grow by combining with members from the PhatMoto community. At OldMiniBikes, we have
some highly knowledgeable engine and drive train people, that could steer the PhatMoto commnity
in making upgrades.

Please express your thoughts. Maybe this discussion can become a permanent thread.

Sounds like a new forum just for the phatmoto bike would be a good option, seeing that it is a growing industry just doesn't seem to go with vintage minibikes in my view but I'm only one person? it would be easier for a person interested to find info in a forum dedicated to these bicycles.
A separate forum within OldMiniBikes dedicated to PhatMoto sounds good. Many of the PhatMoto owners are looking for engine and
drive train upgrades. OldMiniBikes has good forums on engines. In my opinion, a flat head engine is the perfect engine for a PhatMoto.
The PhatMoto All Terrain is the larger frame.

I would say no to a Phatmoto specific subforum because it's too specific and many people would probably still post everything in Mini Bike Discussion just like you did here when this should be in Off Topic Discussion. You can post Phatmoto threads in Off Topic Discussion. Phatmoto gas-powered bikes, while very cool, aren't that popular, they've been around for years and I've never seen one in person. Electric bicycles (AKA: ebikes, eBikes, e-bikes) are much more popular which is probably why Phatmoto has been transitioning to ebikes over the years. As I said, a Phatmoto subforum would be too specific, a 'Motorized Bicycle' (gas & electric) subforum would make more sense but I doubt there will be any new subforum(s) added. Do a web search, I imagine there are multiple motorized bicycle forums.

The Phatmoto gas-powered bikes are not street legal in every state. In my state (VA), it would be limited to 50cc max and would have to be registered as a moped. Otherwise, a 79cc Phatmoto would be classified as a motorcycle (a non-DOT-certified, non-street-legal motorcycle). Anything with an internal combustion engine and no tag on the back will get you pulled over, here (southeast Virginia). Ebikes that conform to government regulation are street legal without registration.

Lifan makes good engines. If they are problematic, it's probably because people aren't changing the oil before starting the engine. Lifan states that you must change the oil before starting because their engines are filled with shipping oil at the factory. Shipping oil is meant to prevent rust/corrosion during shipping/storage but is not suitable for lubrication. I have seen this notice on the Lifan Power website and it is probably included in manuals for Lifan powered products.

I live in an area where riding a minibike on the street is not wise, heavy law enforcement presence. Relatively recently, I've gotten into ebikes, bought a Polarna M6 Pro (relatively badass for a bike that won't get you pulled over the first time a police officer sees you on it), then later a ONEBOT S1 (because there's just something cool about tiny bikes, IMO). Unfortunately, idiots on Surrons, Talrarias, etc. (basically electric motorcycles with optional pedals and way too powerful to be legal ebikes) are probably going to make things difficult for everyone. One reason why I chose the M6 Pro is because it looks like a bicycle, not like a motorcycle, to avoid potential hassle (there are legal/semi-legal ebikes that look more like a motorcycle). Decades ago, I realized that I could get away with a lot more in/on a relatively quiet car/motorcycle than a loud one, stealth has advantages. Ebikes are more fun than I expected and, using logic rather than emotion, they make more sense than minibikes or gas powered bicycles, IMO. No, I'm not a greenie, I'm not into electric cars/trucks and don't own one.

Minimichael

And give that one sub-forums for green, gas, 2-stroke, etc. I love the vintage cruiser look in today's electric designs... Phat, board track style.

Last edited:
It is nice that you asked and I would like to see a section just for the Phatmoto because it is considered a bike until you start the engine. in Illinois you can ride them on the street with no license but I have not seen many on the road. I have one and was doing some conversion work to it and changing it over to a clutch with a timing belt drive. Cleaner, quieter, no stretch. Was excited about the project until I realized I would be on the phone all the time since I found so many problems with it. Biggest problem is the sprockets on the jackshaft are not heat treated because of the spline bore. Next problem was converting everything to English measurements instead of metric. Rebuilt the jackshaft to a keyway shaft and got rid of the metric stuff. Brakes were another rework job just because they didn't work very well and needed a lot of adjustment.

It is nice that you asked and I would like to see a section just for the Phatmoto because it is considered a bike until you start the engine. in Illinois you can ride them on the street with no license but I have not seen many on the road. I have one and was doing some conversion work to it and changing it over to a clutch with a timing belt drive. Cleaner, quieter, no stretch. Was excited about the project until I realized I would be on the phone all the time since I found so many problems with it. Biggest problem is the sprockets on the jackshaft are not heat treated because of the spline bore. Next problem was converting everything to English measurements instead of metric. Rebuilt the jackshaft to a keyway shaft and got rid of the metric stuff. Brakes were another rework job just because they didn't work very well and needed a lot of adjustment.
There are cable actuated hydraulic calipers that can replace most bicycle mechanical calipers. I bought a pair on Amazon for $44. The master cylinder is built into the caliper and you can use existing cables. Mainly to make my ONEBOT S1 look better, I replaced the 14x1.95 whitewall tires with heavy-duty 14x2.125 blackwalls (I hate whitewalls), replaced the brake rotors with gold floating rotors and replaced the black mechanical calipers with red Zoom hydraulic calipers. That 160mm front rotor on the Phatmoto gas bikes looks puny relative to the wheel diameter, you can get an adapter to replace a 160mm rotor with a 180mm or 203mm rotor, it spaces the caliper out to accommodate the larger rotor. A larger diameter rotor should improve braking performance. I stayed with 160mm rotors on my S1 because it has little 14" wheels, the 160mm rotors look fairly large on 14" wheels and offer plenty of braking power with the small wheels.

If it has a petrol burning engine on it, or you are putting an electric drivetrain on a formerly fuel-driven bike, I am interested.
I personally don't think I would ever look at a forum specifically for factory designed electric bicycles.

The reason I like this site is it got a little of everything and many things cross over for people looking for parts or to fix things. I only visit four sites-Old mini bikes; DIY go Karts; Vintage Karting Forum; and Bob's 4 cycle. Being old I am pretty set in my ways and change is hard for an old boy. Many things I did on the Phatmoto could very easily change over to a mini-bike and it gives people insight into what is new. I like the education people get from the suggestions of the membership who have done a lot of work over the years to keep these great bikes going and helping to preserve history.
Least I forget (see I told you I was old) there is another site I visit and that was the original Minibike built in 1942 for the war effort by the founder of Max-Torque, George Fields who built the 1st minibike but it didn't gets its name until 1946 when they started to build 40,000 in 3 years--the Doodle Bug. Webster City, Iowa has a reunion every September to keep these great little mini-bikes alive. 1 1/2 hp Briggs and Clintons were the power plant for these monsters. AMERICAN BUILT!!!!
Love you guys have a great week--I am off to Canada to fish for a week so you will not be bothered by this old man for a while.

Attachments