Yamaha 2-stroke engine on a mini-bike?

Has anybody here ever done it? If so, I would be very interested in your experiences, recommendations, specific challenges, photos, etc. We have a 1977 Yamaha YZ80 80cc dirt bike engine and are contemplating the idea.
Michael

george3

Has anybody here ever done it? If so, I would be very interested in your experiences, recommendations, specific challenges, photos, etc. We have a 1977 Yamaha YZ80 80cc dirt bike engine and are contemplating the idea.
Michael
I already considered it. You need to fab. the mounts and might have to mod the pipe.

Thought about it too. OldMiniBikes sells a mount for the Hodaka Motor that gives you a good idea of how to construct it. I was thinking you'd have to run a jack shaft to change up the drive chains to fit your mini bike sprocket, or fab a bike sprocket to a hub with ensuing chain guide. That might create clearance issues for a brake. Just some of the stuff I thought about.

I'd sure like to see it done Michael. You're way ahead if you have that old air cooled motor sitting around. $$$

rmm727

I'd like to try the 110 Honda Clone engines they put on pitbikes. I imagine the mount for them would look something like a Promod engine mount with 4 holes countersunk up from the bottom to engage into the foot peg mounting holes those engines used.

Thought about it too. OldMiniBikes sells a mount for the Hodaka Motor that gives you a good idea of how to construct it. I was thinking you'd have to run a jack shaft to change up the drive chains to fit your mini bike sprocket, or fab a bike sprocket to a hub with ensuing chain guide. That might create clearance issues for a brake. Just some of the stuff I thought about.

I'd sure like to see it done Michael. You're way ahead if you have that old air cooled motor sitting around. $$$
The Hodaka-powered Bonanza bikes are what first gave me the thought about possibly doing this. This engine is not a runner (yet), and is missing some parts (e.g., carb), however Jeff ("The Ruppster_86") is already on the case and looking into what it would take. If he can get it up and running for a reasonable amount, we will need to start looking for a good roller. Not sure (yet) what frame, however, it should definitely be a large frame to be able to accommodate easy gear shifting, larger tires, and MUST be full suspension.
Michael

The engine will be assembled and rebuilt by me and any machining will be done at work. Maybe Creia can watch me do it!:wink: I already have my eye on a Mikuni flat slide carb. The engine is 80cc and 5 speed.

Neck

Growing up is optional
My 2 cents. YZ80 engines, are pipey little motocross engines that don't start making power till about 9000 rpm and sign off around 11,500, give or take 1000 rpm. And when the power band hits, a short wheel base mini, if it's hooked up, is probably going to flip over backwards.
I don't think it will be much fun to ride honestly. A GT80 engine would be a much better candidate, but a modestly built predator 212, even with a straight centrifugal clutch, will probably run away from it.

My 2 cents. YZ80 engines, are pipey little motocross engines that don't start making power till about 9000 rpm and sign off around 11,500, give or take 1000 rpm. And when the power band hits, a short wheel base mini, if it's hooked up, is probably going to flip over backwards.
I don't think it will be much fun to ride honestly. A GT80 engine would be a much better candidate, but a modestly built predator 212, even with a straight centrifugal clutch, will probably run away from it.
Geeze Cliff, you are no fun at all!:thumbdown::laugh: I DO still always welcome and appreciate your input, however. (I think you already know that)
I STILL think it could be an "interesting" project (or maybe "experiment"?) There has got to be someone on this forum that has done it before?
Michael

Last edited:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Michael, you and the Ruppster share what could be called an Envy able relationship, and I would not want to deter you in anyway (but I guess i just did) I just wanted to give you the heads up on what to expect. She's gonna be a real handful! Now go for it:thumbsup:

Neck

Growing up is optional
I have seen a CR250 engine on a drag bike, although it had a stretched wheel base. I think it was nick named "Death Machine":eek:

Neck, I think your right about what happens on lockup.. David and I have been discussing also putting a pit bike motor ( maybe from PCC Motors, an advertiser on the site) on a Bonanza. I've been getting some measurements from Paul and GR about the space avail on an MX. I think an engine in the 16-17" length range may fit, if the jackshaft is omited. If you have time ck out the motors offered on that web site, I would appreciate an opinion of what you would use.

Thanks Jesse

Neck

Growing up is optional
Hodaka's are great little engines, but their power band is much more user friendly than a YZ80! Jesse, I'm not sure which engine it is that your interested in.

Hodaka's are great little engines, but their power band is much more user friendly than a YZ80! Jesse, I'm not sure which engine it is that your interested in.

There's only one page, I'm looking mostly at the YX 160CC COOLED ENGINE MOTOR Or the JIALING 125CC ENGINE HONDA MOTOR. But im open to any engine options.

Jesse

Geeze Cliff, you are no fun at all!:thumbdown::laugh: I DO still always welcome and appreciate your input, however. (I think you already know that)
I STILL think it could be an "interesting" project (or maybe "experiment"?) There has got to be someone on this forum that has done it before?
Michael
Well, Cliff is sure right, but I wouldn't let that stop me. :laugh: Stretch the frame a bit, but some real meat on the back, make a sand dragger or hill climber too. Could use a big tire bike frame and gear it down, and climb trees.

Michael
strigoi has a friend that put one on a doodle bug, I think it was a110cc Honda clone 4 speed a few years back

On the right frame the YZ80 (I had a GTMX80 as a kid that seemed stupid fast) would be fine, crazy fast and a bit dangerous for the novice rider but I doubt you'd let any novices on the thing. My crazy buddy (one of many) has an XL175 twin shoehorned into an XR75 frame, not a two stroke but damn fast and not for kids. They disallowed him to race it in the unlimited class at a local track due to competitors crying foul. He would actually barely have been able to ride it competitively due to it's overwhelming power, most of his efforts would have been focused on just keeping it from sliding and jumping the wall. I say find a fully suspended Trailblazer or Trailhorse, Cheeftah, Bonanza MX or make one of the others like an MX Nanner with big suspension and go for it. You'll have a barely rideable oddity at worse or a cool crazy fast rider if nothing else.

Many thanks to all that replied.:thumbsup: Jeff has the engine completed dis-assembled and all the internals look really good. :smile:There are a few external parts to replace, but they are readily available on EBay at a (surprisingly) reasonable price. By the number of parts listings for this engine on Ebay, these must have been REAL popular engines back in the day?. We share the same feelings as Outlaw as far as giving it a try,and are going to go for it. Either Jeff or I will report back with a future update of the progress.
Michael