1976 Indian M5A - My first restore/rebuild, and hell of a story!

Edit: I should add, I hope you all like being overloaded with pictures, hahaha!

So here's the backstory if you want to read it, and it's a pretty good one.

Long version:

I'm a volunteer firefighter and I was working one night at the station. My Captain stopped by just to say hi and see what we were up to. Since I am a motorcycle enthusiast myself, I had turned the tv on and "World's Fastest Indian" was on one of the movie channels. I briefly told my Captain what it was about, and he thought it sounded good and had a seat to watch it with us.

It didn't really click until Burt said something in the movie about his Indian. My Captain realized and muttered out an, "Oooohhh, an Indian! I've got one of those in my garage." And this is the point where I said, "Excuse me? You have what?" He replied with, "Just a little one."

He then went on to tell me how it had been in his mothers garage for 20 years, then when she passed away, he brought it to his house where it had been for the past 12 years. His oldest son decided it looked in need of repai, so he took it apart about 5 years ago. And this is how it sat.

I jokingly said, "Well, let me know when you want to sell it." He told me to come over the next day.

I showed up and sure enough, he had an old Indian mini bike sitting in pieces in his garage. I had no idea what it was worth and neither did he. I asked him what he wanted for it, and he shrugged and said, "I don't know, make me an offer." I asked what he paid for it, and he told me he had mowed a lady's lawn 5 times and she gave it to him. I told him I pay my lawn guy $20 each time, so I'd give him $100 for it, hahaha! He laughed and said, "Sounds good. It's all yours!"

Short version:

I picked up this old rusty mini bike from some dude's garage for $100. :laugh:

So all in all, I will consider this one a little "barn find" and I hope to have it up and running sometime in the next 3-4 months. I'll keep pictures posted and keep my progress updated. To start with, here is a picture of what I came home with:

Last edited:
This little thing is going to cost me a bunch of money, hahaha, but it will be totally worth it! Picked up a sandblasting box and a powder coating gun. I did a few modifications to the box. The legs were hollow so I cut and welded some small pieces of plastic to cover them up. I also added a light to the inside, put a quick connect for the air on the outside, and ran a small shop vac, which I also had to go buy, to the top corner to help keep the dust down a bit in the box.

Of course my little compressor wasn't nearly big enough to run the sandblaster, so I had to upgrade that. Took a little while to put in, but I got lucky and have a gas stove in the kitchen. It is right on the other side of the garage wall and has a 220v outlet that wasn't being used. I flipped it around and now I have a 220v outlet in the garage. Hope whoever owns my house down the road doesn't want an electric stove, haha.

I also decided the color scheme I want to go with. I thought about trying to make it completely stock like it was new, but since I plan to keep this one, I'd rather make it the way I want it so I'll enjoy it more. I the colors I opted for are "Blue Star" for the tank, fenders and number plates. "Pearlized Black" will be for the frame, fork, rear shocks, handlebars and other normally black pieces. And of course the chrome parts will be chrome (rear springs, wheels, fork uppers, etc).

I also decided I like the look of some gold decals, so I went with a larger than normal black oulined, metallic gold tank decal.

All I can say so far is thank goodness I'm single. I don't know how well I would do explaining to my significant other how the little $100 bike I picked up has cost over a grand so far yet still looks the same as when I picked it up :biggrin:

I was on a 12 hour night shift at the fire station, so I decided to bring some of the stuff up with me and dig into it. I started by getting some of the parts cleaned off. A little simple green and elbow grease goes a long way. I also had some Evaporust and thought I'd try it out on a few smaller parts (nuts, bolts, gas cap).

I also pulled off the carb and look what I was dealing with motor wise. Seems like it has good compression and I was pleasantly suprised about what I saw for a motor that has been sitting for 32 years!!!

Another 24 hour shift at the station, so I thought I would try out the sandblaster. I got all of the main parts other than the fork and wheels, stripped down and ready for sandblasting.

A better shot of all of the parts I had ready to sandblast after lots of scrubbing to get the larger pieces of gunk and grease off.

And here we go!

And here is the final product. I'll go ahead and say I think I did a pretty good job for my first time. I don't plan on painting the parts right away as I am still waiting for the powder to arrive, and I also want to try to get out some of the dents and dings in the tank and fenders. I'm sure I will get a little bit of "flash rust" on some of the parts, but I'll run them back through the blaster right before I paint them.

I'm still alive, but things had to be put on hold for the bike. Back up and running now, so I got into the motor last night. The kickstart lever return spring was broken, there was some oil sludge in there and it definitely needs some new gaskets, but all of the internals look to be in great working condition!

I also picked up anew air filter assembly and a new fuel petcock for it, so with any luck, I'll be able to fire up the motor sometime in the near future.

Last edited:
I got the motor all cleaned up and put back together. Rebuilt the carb, and I have a new gasket set on the way for it. Even though some of the gaskets were leaking a bit, I couldn't resist. I threw it all together, put some fresh 80w-90 gear oil in her, mixed up some fuel and gave it a test run. Only had a tiny amount of fuel in the line since I don't have the tank ready yet, but I got her to fire up and run for about 3 seconds. Im pretty proud of myself at this point considering what she looked like when I first got her :smile:

Last edited: