briggs 5hp supercharger ideas ?

Well, i got thinking about briggs, more particuraly getting more power out of a small engine, what do you guys think about a SMOG pump hook the pully to a pully on the output shaft of the briggs, then a pipe ( rad hose ? [clamped] ) to the intake of the briggs then hooked up to the SMOG pump to act as a small supercharger ( it revs and forces air in the motor ) maybe like a 7 lb rad cap for a blow off incase the psi gets to high, what do u guys think . ?

I wouldn't worry about the pressure getting too high making something like you are talking about. If your using stock engine parts, making some kind of supercharger that would give you a pound or two would probably be good. I would get some type of gauge and hook it up to the intake so you can tell whats going on. Just don't try using a whole second engine as a supercharger like I have seen some people try on you tube, obviously there is going to be way more loss than gain. I was always going to make something up by welding up a centrifugal blower, maybe using some crank seals on the shaft. A roots type supercharger would be too tough to make up with just a welder and hand tools.

Well, im going to try to get 5lbs out of the 5 hp, :) i think it should get interesting i was reading up last night and someones head on a 5hp blew right off.

jeffo

Smog pumps are inefficient and will not supply shit for boost in a radiator hose. Maybe in a fuel line, but the smog idea is a joke and willnot work. If you want a belt driven supercharger get a small Turbo off an 80's Volvo and replace the ex. side with a pulley. Then run 112 race gas! Orrrr you could get a whippit bottle and nitrous cartridges and I think it could totally be possible to run spray on a small engine. Hotrod magazine put 4 leafblowers on a 84 vette and gained some HP. I bet an electric leafblower on a mini would provide a nice boost.

for some reason I cant see how a turbo built for a car that has roughly 120 hp, would ever work on a 5 hp...doesnt matter what you do to it.

someone needs to man up and make a supercharger with a CNC machine

thatd be sick to see a little briggs with a g-lader on the side:rolleyes:

jeffo

Haha funny you say that because with the right pulley sizes and a blow off valve it will work.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk

even at 100% increase that only 10hp.

You are going to get a bunch telling you to just do it,of course they will have nothing vested in it. I'm all for trying new things but repeating someone else's mistakes is a sign of stupidity, fixing someone's mistakes is genius. research well before starting.

Hotrod magazine put 4 leafblowers on a 84 vette and gained some HP. I bet an electric leafblower on a mini would provide a nice boost.
i was thinking a gas one with the motor replaced with a pulley or a wheel. a wheel would make hooking it up to the engine as simple as cutting a hole in the fan shroud so the wheel engages the flywheel. search yard sales for a broken unit and you might find it cheap.

A lot of people have failed in many ways doing many things to the point that it was said to be impossible. Then one day a daring brave soul came through and shattered the rumors of the impossibility!! Facts are proven wrong every day! Not saying that it will work but if it isn't going to kill him let him have fun!! Besides if it doesn't work as great as you'd like you'd def have some cool points if it's rigged together neatly!!! :thumbsup: Try it and remember to post pics!!!

Not wanting to be the party pooper here,Has anyone thought about harnessing the blower that is already on the motor? I mean it's a mini bike,like a motorcycle does not need a fan because it's moving right? so why not redirect the air it is already making.You can that the shrouds of the cylinder and head,then plumb all that air to the carb. There is more air there than a smog pump and it won't need a belt that takes HP to turn. Just and idea...:stuart:

Using the shroud fan has been done before. The best you end up getting is ram air. Looks fantastic on paper, done get me wrong. But sadly no.
Was it sealed up good on the cylinder side? Sounds like it was losing pressure. I was thinking of trying it myself but redesigning the blower cover.