H40 leaking gas

capguncowboy

I've been working on my ARCO. It has the original H40 that hasn't ran in who knows how long.

I took the carburetor to my uncle's house with the $8.00 kit from OldMiniBikes. He took it apart, cleaned it up and popped it back together (actually, I did it under instruction so I could learn how). It's as clean as can be now. The float doesn't get stuck -- it moves freely.

The carburetor has a primer bulb, but it was missing. I pulled the old ring and what was left of the bulb out and cleaned the socket. Then I put in the new one using a 19mm socket and a mallet. It went in without a problem.

So this morning I put the motor back together. New gaskets, newly cleaned carb, freshly painted shroud, new fuel line with new fuel filter, freshly painted breather housing and new filter.

I primed the bulb three times and pulled. Nothing. Then I noticed gas was leaking. It was leaking from inside the breather housing. I pulled the breather cover off and gas was just pouring out. It didn't appear to be impeded by anything. I can't tell where it's coming from. Nothing I could do but watch the gas just run out onto the ground. Fortunately, I had only put about a cup in it.

Anyone know what causes this? I'm sure it's something I did, but I don't know what.

Any help would be appreciated. I can take pictures if need-be.

Thanks!

Andrew

capguncowboy

Needle seat isn't sittin.:laugh:
Or the float has a hole in it..:shrug:
I had a hard time getting the old gasket out, but it seemed to seat fine when I put the new needle in. So it's not then?

I think the gas was coming from the hole just on the inside of the opening, on the bottom.

The part that really sucks is that now I've gotta repaint the breather housing... because it just melted under that gas. I probably won't bother though because it's on the inside.

Last edited:

capguncowboy

The float is fine. We actually put it in water. It didn't sink, so no leaks. I'll take the bowl off and see if I can get a picture of the seat/needle assembly. Give me a few minutes.

"Needle seat isn't sittin.
Or the float has a hole in it.. "

+1 :thumbsup: What he said
Ditto, what they said:thumbsup: Make sure the new tiny white gasket for the needle in in the correct way. One side has lines on it. I would also double check the float for pin holes. Shake the float and see if it has gas in there.

capguncowboy

You guys are good. Apparently it shredded, so I guess I didn't have it in there right.

What's left of it:

Some more pieces of it:

There are a few more pieces in here:

capguncowboy

Good that you found that but, that would only keep it from running.

Has nothing to do with the over flow issue.
Well shit. The needle is probably not sitting right then. I'll pull the carb back off tomorrow and check it out. I'll update in the morning

Thanks for the help

That carb looks rough. Make sure you have the correct kit. I never saw that washer in green before:eek:ut: Get a new float and check to make sure the carb is still good.:thumbsup:

capguncowboy

I might just pull that carburetor off and pick up another one -- maybe something newer. Do you guys have any suggestions for a good replacement?

capguncowboy

Rather than mess around with it and hope I get it right, I think I'm just going to order the replacement. I've never been one to mess with motors anyway.

I'll probably list the old one up on the forums for cheap with free shipping if any of you are interested in the slightest. Basically, just pay shipping. Just shoot me a PM.

Thanks for all of your help guys.