Heald Hauler Redo

I purchased this Heald hauler this last weekend. It has been customized by a previous owner with a Harley biker theme. I hope to start on this project this spring. Currently, it doesn't run and is missing brake parts and more...
MNGB has been a big help providing dimensions to get this project home. Here a few photos so far.

Attachments

MNGB

Hi VT2, doesn't look to bad, its pretty complete you will get it restored and going in no time. What color are you going to paint it? What engine did you say is in it?
GB in MN

GB, I would like to paint it the same as yours. IH red with white rims. The chrome is shot on the fender and handle bars. The engine is a 10 HP Tecumseh which looks pretty new. It has good compression when I pull the cord so hopefully it will run without much work. My plans are to remove the car bench seat and go back to an original seat. Hopefully, I can get some seat parts or dimensions to build one. The foot diamond plate platform needs to be cut back to a smaller scale which will help take some weight off the front wheel.
Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will post more pictures are the project progresses.
VT2

I'm no expert but I believe the engine is a 1981 or 1991, the first number at the beginning of the serial number is the last number of the year of manufacture. If it has a lighting coil you will see a 3 wire harness coming out the blower housing, if not you probably do not have one.

MNGB

Hi VT2, my search comes up showing that engine as a snowblower engine, if that's the case there is a good chance it does not have a lighting coil /alternator, but by searching you could convert it to an alternator but would require a stator a flywheel and a voltage regulator rectifier. Have you had it running yet?
GB in MN

The carbs are prone to clogging so a good cleaning and a kit is probably in order. I have two Trykes and two Super Broncs, when I went to start the only good complete Super Bronc after a year of sitting and it starts but won't stay running, if a cleaning won't fix the 5 year old (bought it new) carb I will have to kit the damn thing or just buy another carb from OldMiniBikes warehouse. I want to build a bed for my bench seat Super Tryke that goes into the basket mounts so I'll have something similar to what you have but convertible. I watched a cab model Hauler come and go on CL and now regret not picking it up on one hand and glad not to have another project on the other. Hard to think about not keeping the Tryke but I'm selling the Bronc and other Tryke and Bronc frame but am keeping the forks in case I bend the ones it has, they are the same so it only makes sense. The low seating position Tryke has way wider forks than the bench seat model. I'm selling it to avoid being buried in it financially. I'm going to concentrate on the bench seat model and making it an all around sport/utility vehicle. Mine has the original 13hp electric start lighting coil Tecumseh and it ran good but I bet the carb is clogged on it too. I should have kept them running but life happens and stuff sits, that's why I'm selling a lot of projects and bikes.

Ace, your tryke looks cool. A bed would be nice on the back. Sounds like you have a nice collection of Heald products.
You are right, the carb is dirty. I pour some gas in the cylinder and the engine ran a few seconds. I pulled the carb tonight and will clean it tomorrow. Hope to have the hauler running and driving it around tomorrow.
I called Ron Kimball this week and we talked about hauler parts. He said he has quite a few hauler parts but the machine to make the seat rails/hinge is still down. Hope to build my parts list once I have the hauler running.
VT2

Cleaned the carb and now the engine runs!

I may sell the hauler, my work schedule has change and won't have the time I thought this spring and summer to work on it.

Well, got the bug to work on the hauler some more. I pull the bed off and took the car seat off. Several big jobs are next. One is to cut the foot pan back to normal size. Then, I need to mount the gas tank on the side. The bracket is broken so the tank is barely hanging off the engine. When the engine runs, the clutch is engaged. I pulled the clutch and it is not coming apart which it may be toast. I noticed the Tecumseh has a tapered drive shaft and not key slot. I am wondering what I got myself into???? The differential is also missing. The axle is welded together. More issues to tackle and wonder if anyone knows what it would cost to buy a differential and I assume 2 axles? Also, the cost of a clutch(size?) and if the drive shaft is wrong on the 10hp tecumseh do I need to replace the engine too? Any feedback would be appreciated guys!

Larry's sells these for $40 each I think. They were a little less but he has gone up a little. They are 1" and drop to 3/4" where they go into the differential housing but should work fine if you have 1" bearings....

Attachments