Heald Hauler Redo

20150410_155844.jpg
Worked on the hauler yesterday. I removed the bed, seat and trimmed the floor pan back by cutting off the excessive metal. Several friends stopped by and encouraged me to not throw in the towel and push forwar and redo the hauler by replacing the old Tecumseh engine with a Honda clone, putting a differential back in the hauler and finding some motorcycle calipers to get the brakes functional. Looks to be a total rebuild.

Hi VT2, just sent you a PM, as for the clutch guards I was thinking of some thing else but niw I take it you meant the side covers they are just sheet steel the upper rear corners need to be notched to allow the box locking to lock. I was lucky in that the brake calipers were there but completely wore out got the parts to rebuild them from Ron at Power Tec, I did use a Polaris snowmobile brake master cylinder assy but the Polaris handle bars are 7/8" and the Hauler one are 1" but there is enough material that the M cyl can be drill to 1" and it works good.
GB in MN

View attachment 71657
Found some calipers off CL for $20 I think I can attach today. Power Tech said they have the hand brake control and master cyclinder for the hauler. Maybe with some plumbing I could get the brakes to work.

View attachment 71657
Found some calipers off CL for $20 I think I can attach today. Power Tech said they have the hand brake control and master cyclinder for the hauler. Maybe with some plumbing I could get the brakes to work.
Wow, those things are HUGE! Might be a little overkill for the Hauler, but if you can get them to work, more power to ya:thumbsup:

Power Tec also has many of the small pieces for the stock calipers, I was able to rebuild mine using parts from them and from my local Napa. I thought about updating to a more modern set but it was easier for me to just rebuild my stockers instead of having to custom fab new mounts.

I was up in Michigan this week and stopped in at Power Tec. Had a great visit with Ron Kimball and his son Scott, talking everything Heald -minibikes and haulers. I got to share my experience buying my first Heald product; a VT2 minibike at age 14 (Took 2 years picking pickles on the farm to earn the $169) and assembling the kit in 1970. Then, last winter I restored it.

And, now redoing this hauler. Ron shared some great stories about the company and the product developments and marketing. A product way ahead of its time.

Got the hauler back from the sandblaster. It is primed and ready for paint. Also, I have gathered most of the parts I will need to start assembly. I am prepping the peerless axle to put on the new bearings, cleaned up sprocket, rotor and bought 2 new hubs from Power Tec. Hope have pictures soon to show the progress.

I was up in Michigan this week and stopped in at Power Tec. Had a great visit with Ron Kimball and his son Scott, talking everything Heald -minibikes and haulers. I got to share my experience buying my first Heald product; a VT2 minibike at age 14 (Took 2 years picking pickles on the farm to earn the $169) and assembling the kit in 1970. Then, last winter I restored it.

And, now redoing this hauler. Ron shared some great stories about the company and the product developments and marketing. A product way ahead of its time.
Your hauler project looks great. That VT-2 is gorgeous. Where are you in Ohio???

Doc

Thanks guys. Marysville. Where in Ohio are you Doc?
Tomorrow I start the hauler assembly. I have the frame and wheels painted.
Will take more pictures.

This week I took the hauler to my Fab guy. He built frame for my seat, remade the hitch, move the bed rails, added conduit for brake line and wires, and fab a bracket for the motorcycle brake caliper. Ready to start with the engine mount next. Fab.jpg