Hooking up light to the lighting coil????

Trying to wire up the lights on my trail horse which is a first for me. Tail light has a brown and red wire headlight has 2 whites.
My engine has the standard plug with the red black and green. I was planning on running The brown from the tail light , one white from the headlight and one wire from the kill switch to the green which it think is the ground on the engine plug then the other white from the headlight to the black on the engine and the red from the tail light to the red on the engine and the remaining wire from the kill switch to the wire coming off the coil. Would this be the correct way? Thanks

green wire goes to kill switch. Connect it to ground thru switch stops sparks kills engine. Red and Black are your AC sources One to headlamp one to tail lamp and brake switch. The other side of the bulbs goes to ground (Frame)

That's kinda what I thought. Now there is a kill wire just like if there weren't a lighting coil with a ground. So what I get from what you said is that one side of my kill switch will go to the frame and the other to the green on the lighting coil harness. Is that correct? The yellow wire in the pic killed the engine when I touched it to ground. IMG_3169.PNG maybe someone added the yellow wire for some reason?

yes but most kill switches just have one wire and when you press the button it grounds the wire to the handlebars. If yours has 2 wires one goes to ground the other to the green. Can't you trace where the yellow wire is coming from? Is this a HS or a H series motor?

Tail light has a brown and red wire
Bryce I just want to add this. Check the bulb in the tail light and see if it is a single filament or a double filament. I thought the 2 wires on my Super Bronc tail light were a hot and a ground.... That is until I took it apart and discovered that it has a dual filament 1157 buld and is getting a ground through the frame. I just had it in my hands last night but have no clue what color the wires are...

Doug

capguncowboy

Bryce I just want to add this. Check the bulb in the tail light and see if it is a single filament or a double filament. I thought the 2 wires on my Super Bronc tail light were a hot and a ground.... That is until I took it apart and discovered that it has a dual filament 1157 buld and is getting a ground through the frame. I just had it in my hands last night but have no clue what color the wires are...

Doug
I think they're red and green if I'm not mistaken

Good thinking. If so I could change it to 1156 which I think is single
1156 and 1157 wont interchange. The socket is completely different. Single contact 1156 and double contact 1157. If it is an 1157 then just hook up the low side of the bulb and leave the socket alone... That would be the easiest thing to do.

Doug

Good thinking. If so I could change it to 1156 which I think is single
Yes it is, but you can still use the 1157 and just not hook up the brake side wire (power) Also, as I stated in your post concerning output, with your charging system, a 12vdc head lamp bulb is going to be dim, unless you run near maximum RPM. I use 6VDC, and high/low beam with no problems and great illumination. (12 VDC tail works fine) Note that I used an aftermarket headlamp motorcycle bucket, so I was not stuck with a particular bulb diameter.

Someone added that yellow wire for some reason. Tye it back and insulate it.

Here is a link to a post here with a nice schematic of the hook up that Ole4 spoke to. https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...h-lighting-circuit-post613746.html#post613746

OldMiniBikes sells two single wire switches, one in 7/8" and one in 1" for handle bar mounting. I've seen toggle mounted single wire switches (internal ground) as well, but apparently OldMiniBikes doesn't sell them now.

1156 and 1157 wont interchange. The socket is completely different. Single contact 1156 and double contact 1157. If it is an 1157 then just hook up the low side of the bulb and leave the socket alone... That would be the easiest thing to do.

Doug
Your correct Doug not sure what I was as thinking

Doug
Yep, and he could even hook up the brake side instead of the tail side and get good visibility from the back with a 12VDC bulb running on 8VDC nominal.

I guess I'm not worth a response here from the OP again. Oh well. Bryce, you should run one leg to your head lamp, and one leg to your tail light. If you are using a 6 volt tail light, you will blow the filament eventually. That needs to be 12 volt. Your head lamp needs to be six volt. Ohm's Law applies.

Ok heres what you I got from this which thank you everyone. I'm going to hook up the headlight to the black wire on the harness using a 6v bulb then I'll run the tail light to the red on the harness using a 12v bulb, load side of kill switch to the green on the harness and the line side to the frame since my toggle has 2 wires?

Ok heres what you I got from this which thank you everyone. I'm going to hook up the headlight to the black wire on the harness using a 6v bulb then I'll run the tail light to the red on the harness using a 12v bulb, load side of kill switch to the green on the harness and the line side to the frame since my toggle has 2 wires?
That sounds right to me. Just don't let out the smoke.....

Doug