Hurricane Sandy

That hurricane is headed right at me. Burlington, NJ. My buddy helped me cut down 2 huge dead trees today, trimed all the trees off of the house. I doubt my weeping willow trees will make it. The willow trees still have all there leaves. Damn weather:doah: Hope the big tree doesn't fall threw the garage. "Don't smash my mini's":sad:

We had a huge storm blow threw one winrter up here.
It was a nightmare!
No power for days ( some weeks )
Army was out trying to get to people trapped and bring them into evacuation centers.

There was not a generator to be had anywhere for sure.
Like many people spared the brunt of this I felt bad.
I did my part and turned some of my skills to use in the relief effort.

I repaired old generators for distribution.
I can't say hpow many I fixed in that week periode.
Maybe a couple of dozen, but I know it helped keep some people warm.

Many years later now but my memory of those events has forever changed the way i look at things.

Freezing rain can come at any time in the fall or winter in general these days.
The weather is absolutely gone nuts global warming heating up the gulf stream means the storms now push harder and further north.
So be prepared!

The back up:
My primary back up for my sump pump ( think thats the same as french well in American )
Is a Sendon 400 modiufied square wave inverter with 12 hours of run time on it.
No flooding threat since I got flooded out in 02.

TO back that up I have a Champion 2800 watt gas gen set ( clones are good they share parts with your mini, tharts something to think about ).
I keep some gasoline on hand but never more than 5 gallons and I have to rotate it through the season so sometimes I have much less than 5 depending on how much I ride or cut grass ( always gasoline inthe day can and some for the mower but I do run out ).
A generator is useless without fuel....

Now I am being serious now....
The back up to the back up is a 3000 watt modified sinewave inverter.
No batteries for it but it is 12 volt and in a pinch the car and the van are here to provide some power too it.
This of course can be a bad idea too because a dead car battery is not your friend and a car the idles to charge its batter burn a lot of fuel.

SO the back up to the back up to the back up is yet another clone, this time turning a 12 volt Delco generator ( this is a project on the back burner but all the parts are in place ).
This offeres me the ability to electric start remotely to top up a barttery AND provide a boost to something or someone in need.
Provided of course there is gasoline on hand...
Gasoline can be a problem ( natural gas is never a problem if you buy generator with nat gas hook up ).

This brings me to ( are you sitting down now because I am rely not joking here ).
The final backs ups and fall back possitions.
The Petter diesel set.
Its a 5000 watts of of crude AC power in a 600 poind package that is grumpy to start and unfriendly to opperate.
But because of its age and design it will burn anything from gasoline to waste oil as long as the viscosity is right and she's hot ( even fog some propane or Nat gas into it if I had too just needs enough pilot fuel to ignite the gas ).

Then there is my collection of gas lanterns and sotves and heaters.
They are fun to use and platy with or look at but they serve a darke purpose.
In my own paranoid world of things going badly wrong and fuel shortages and a main power failure they can burn just about anything too ( gasoline K1 diesel what ever I have around in quantity even my painting suplies like Xylene and Stoddards can become fuel ).
And viceversa the Petter can burn with they burn....

Ya toys are fun and so are hobbies, but if you can put things to work in a pinch then sometimes your not seen as so excentric by your neighbors.
Last big power failure around here and the block was partly lite by some of my antique lanterns ( neighbors remember this when you need a hand too ).

I am not trying to preach.
But I do fear storms.
I live in a flood prone area too if the power goes out.
The big black out of 03 also hinted at the need to keep some food around that will not spoil as well as some alternative ideas on cooking and lighting.
Might even look into finding/making me an old "Crosely Icy ball" and make a freezer chest.

Its only a matter of time before bad things happen.
Or maybe we bring bad things upon ourselves they way we have treated the world.
In any event our utter dependents on our technology means we need to understand something about how to live without mains power for a while and to help our friends, family and neighbors out if we can too.

I really need to make sure mine still runs gasoline generators cant sit very long before the carb gums up
I have a sugestion for you.
When your done with your gasoline generator flush out the fuel system with Coleman fuel.

This will wash all the old gasoline oout of the tank and lines when you drain the carb.

Coleman fuel also has some rust inhibitors and additives that protect the metal parts.
I mix up a little 2 cycle oil with it and wash the inside of the tank and let it run through the lines.
If you see it comes out milky thats a warning there is water and Ethanol in your fuel.
Once it runs clear you know your safe.

As for the rest of the storage tricks:
I change the oil after I am done for an extended periode and remove the spark plu to add some 2 cycle oil in the cylinder.
Then I pull the engine over to coat the liner and install a fresh new spark plug.
Little things like stuff an oily rag into the exhaust pipe and squirt a little oil into the carb intake to coat the valves are a good to do.

Now for the rest of the generator storage.
Spray the thing down with some WD40.
Tightly wrap up the generator with some plastic stretch wrap to protect it and even toss a few moth balls in there with it to discourage anything frommaking a nest opr home in there when not in use.

Next time you need it after following my tricks it will start, no suprises.
I have one engine outside stored like that ( my Petter actualy )
It has not run in 5 years but I know if I got out there and start cranking it will start ( miht require some preheat its around the freezing point right now )

The fellow in this video does not have his other engine on video but back in 03 or 04 I think it was be built a twin cylinder 12-2 generator set for his home in Florida.

Much the same as this ( these are shelf queens that seldom run just look realy nice ).
But much the same can be said and done about other old generating sets.

WHo is it here now that brought home the Delco plant?
Not sure....

But I think its well worth your while to find something old or simple like these sorts of projects that you can repair easily on your own.

This queen was not cheap to build.
The Factory in India had its hand there too as a PR thing.
Lister CS Listeroid Diesel Generator Homemade - YouTube

But a smart fellow could find a nice old Onan DJA or something.
Maybe a Kubbota twin from a Snorklift ( sounds like an Old Johndeer " Johny poppper " )
And build yourself a cheap reliable stationary set that you can bragg about and shine up on a trolley to impress people with ( not ladies they don't dig engines, or lawyers or girly men who work in IT depts ).
Then you just put it away once the novelty wears off.
Then some ass breaks into your shead and steal everything but the big heavy stationary engine on the trolley.
Then the big storm comes and you fire it up....
Then it breaks down and you remember " HEY I Know how to fix that "
Then you run out of diesel and start buring anything that pours into the tank.

Storm clouds lift.......
Local PU gets the main back on.....
You put it back after some thoughtful remarks to your self about how handy that turned out to be.

And never forget the rub, because you canrub your wife's nose it for a very long time afterwards ( see Honey? pays off to bring home that old things and restore it. And hey honey I guess that old junk was not a waste of time and money after all )
Having a simple stationary plant to run some power and a few other odds and ends around to make life less of a panic whenthe big storm has everyone shitting their pants starts to make a lot of sence.....

i didnt hear about it till friday morning when my neighbor came running over for me to fix her generator! lol My parents were in north carolina and suposed to come home sunday but they high tailed it out of there and came home saturday. we stocked up on food and gas . we usually come out relatively unscathed when these big storms roll through. So well see what happens

Keep your families safe first then see to the minibikes.:laugh:

Seriously though all you guys and gals in the path of the storm take care and do what the emergency management folks say as far as evacuation. I never been in one but have seen two twisters up close and that's bad but I've seen the utter destruction a hurricane can do and I'd sooner ride a twister than sit out a hurricane. Take care.:thumbsup:

Keep your families safe first then see to the minibikes.:laugh:

Seriously though all you guys and gals in the path of the storm take care and do what the emergency management folks say as far as evacuation. I never been in one but have seen two twisters up close and that's bad but I've seen the utter destruction a hurricane can do and I'd sooner ride a twister than sit out a hurricane. Take care.:thumbsup:
I agree... With all of it.

jrzmac

thank god, we just found a generator at Lowes. 5500 watt briggs and stratton... now if we could only find a few gas cans hmmm?? :shrug:

125ccCrazy

thank god, we just found a generator at Lowes. 5500 watt briggs and stratton... now if we could only find a few gas cans hmmm?? :shrug:
that's another reason why I grabbed one friday...I knew if this storm hit as bad as predicted it would be hard to find a generator here because they will be selling out and shipping the rest to the east coast just like when Katrina hit and some of the other bad storms.... as it was when I bought ours Lowes only had about 8 of them, Home Depot had about the same.... out of curiousity I might stop there today and see how many are left now....

I hope and pray you all are safe through this....

I went and serviced our 10000watt 4cycl big boy yesterday and got our little 8hp one running.

Got plenty of canned goods chips and pepsi.

The worst part about all this is if the power grid goes down I will be out of work until its back up.

If it came right down to it, milk jugs make decent make shift gas cans. Or look at walmart for the plastic 5 gallon kerosene jugs. What about a 5 gallon bucket witha lid that has the pout spout on it.

When we got hammered with the storms here during summer and lost power the first thing I did was fill all our empty coolers with water. Take any clean empty milk jugs and fill them with water and put them in the freezer now so that you have ice for coolers. A solid gallon block of ice lasts a pretty long time.

I really want to buy a generator just bc we have a 4 month old at home and storms like this worry me with a little one in the house.

My brother told me about a set up he seen while camping over the summer that was pretty simple and worked excellent. The guy have an old push mower with a vertical shaft and took the blade off of it and installed a belt pulley on the shaft, he then went to the junk yard and found a high amp alternator. He cut a hole in the mower deck and used spacers to shim the alternator so that the belt pulleys aligned. He added a bearing pulley to use as a tensioner for the belt and fabbed up a small stand that stradled the motor and mounted a 110V power inverter on top of the stand and wired it to the alternator. He used it all summer long for camping to power his camper and said it worked excellent. He told my brother he only have like $20 or so in making it and was a lot cheaper than a generator.

Kinda late but thought I would share that for others.

jrzmac

just fired up the generator to make sure it works!!! man that Briggs is sounding kinda sweet!!! hmmm, I wonder if there's anything else I can use that engine for???? :shifty: