I'm finally becoming an adult

I put on my big boy pants and will be buying a house pending tomorrow's inspections (I don't foresee anything major showing up). The lady that owned the house my roommate and I are renting died and her kids decided to sell it. My offer got accepted and we're in escrow right now. This shit is a pain in the ass. So much paperwork and emails and money. We've been here for over a year so we pretty much know what's up with the place. The pest inspection is the one that could break the deal. Why do inspectors only take cash/check? hahahahaing bill me for that shit. I already had to go to my bank for other stuff, but it's still annoying having to pull out $750 in cash for that shit.

I did end up going $15,000 over what I really wanted to pay for the place, which isn't shit when it comes down to what the offer was for. Going by current trends, the house should gain another $60,000-$70,000 in value over the next year. Prices are going up around here and it's in an awesome location. The only downside is the house will need probably $35,000 worth of upgrades to get it where I want it. Luckily my roommate and I can do stuff plus we know people that can do almost everything else for cheap or beer.

The only half decent pic I have of the place without linking the MLS listing or combing through pics (it isn't hard to find the listing with the info in this post, get to sleuthing :laugh: ).

edit: Forgot a letter to make a word corect.

Last edited:

catfishman

Good for you, yeah the paperwork sucks, I just bought a different house back in march , sold my old house a month ago, and now I am refinancing the house I just bought in march. My loan guy is kind of annoying, but he will come down to my work to get any paperwork he needs so that makes up for it I guess.

Congratulations - not quite where I pictured you living.
Does it have a basement with a cofin in:wink:

Nothing like the feeling of owning your place though:thumbsup:

Scottessey

We'll done! Buying a home in the Bay Area is a huge accomplishment. Values around here will fluctuate a little but they're always trending upward. You'll be building equity in no time. I bought on the peninsula 16 years ago and the prices have tripled since then. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

I saw the title and thought you gave up riding around on kids toys.

Nothing beats home ownership and the joy of making it yours. Check out micasa Verde, veralite, to really make your home yours.

I thought everybody wants to leave California , and here you go and buy a house there :scared: Good Luck , sounds like you'll have a good time and lots of beer fixin her up to your liking :thumbsup:

We'll done! Buying a home in the Bay Area is a huge accomplishment. Values around here will fluctuate a little but they're always trending upward. You'll be building equity in no time. I bought on the peninsula 16 years ago and the prices have tripled since then. Congratulations! :thumbsup:
I'll have a lot of equity considering what I'm putting down on the house.

I saw the title and thought you gave up riding around on kids toys.
I did that years ago. :doah: I got rid of my last bin of mini bike parts last year.

I've been to your house, I didn't see any bugs. Send me the pest report, I'll sign it.

Congrats man.
There are termites. Luckily there's no real damage from them so it's not that big of a deal. It's still probably going to cost at least a couple thousand to remedy that shit and a couple of other under house issues though.

The general inspection, pest inspection and appraisal by the mortgage people happened today. The house will need a roof within the next couple of years. It turns out that's much cheaper than I thought it would be so it's not a deal breaker. I'm still hoping to get a credit from the sellers because of it.

Inspections aren't cheap. I paid a little over $700 for the general and pest plus I lost over half a day of work because of them. A roof inspection is happening and that's going to be another $100 or so. The guy that did the general inspection spent over 3 hours checking out the house, so I feel like my money was well spent there. There were only a few things he found that were a surprise or that would be slightly more difficult to take care of than expected. He said it was a good house overall and there were just a few things that needed taking care of soon.

Last edited:
Silly boy,,,, you can't buy maturity or class. :laugh:

Congrats. Don't bitch about inspectors, for such little cash they can save you a huge nightmare or mistake. :thumbsup:

Congrats. Don't bitch about inspectors, for such little cash they can save you a huge nightmare or mistake. :thumbsup:
Both are over rated anyways.

You can buy beer and pizza however.
You just need to be of age lol.

I need to get my truck re-geared and would rather have put the money towards that. :lol: Like I said, I feel the inspections were fully worth the money. I'd hate going in attics and under houses all day, that has to suck.