Installing rings

buckeye

Well, I am stepping into parts unknown.:laugh:

I am putting new rings in a little 5hp Briggs.
Do you have to use one of them fancy ring expander tools or is there a trick to this???

got nails ? put thumb nails in the gap gently spread the ring wile holding it in the fingers like you grip a jar . place over piston and let go . dont twist then or they will snap . play with getting the old ones off and on a few times . compressing them is harder then getting them on the piston . there the tool is best . but wide zipy ties can work or if you cut a strip of tin to wrap around the piston and rings and put a hose clamp over that crank it down and then you can push the piston in the bore . oil them up first makes things easier to get in and dont line up the ring gap of set them like 1/4 turn .

I have a ring compressor for putting the piston back in.
Just putting the rings on the piston.
wellll thar ya go :thumbsup: then ya got the hard part covered . ya just gently pull them open with fingers and place over piston in there spot . shoot on some oil and your good to go . done many many rings by hand with no tool is not the easiest as they do like to dig in to the finger tip a bit . but its not like changing a tire :laugh: sorry had to :thumbsup:

just run over doing it a few times with the old rings to get it down . they will take being pulled apart but they will not stand to be twisted .

shopdogsam Support Your Local Hippie - YouTube he had a video on how to deal with putting on rings using stiff wire i think it was .

never done one of these small engines, but the hd engines i've done, i put the ring into cylinder, square it up with the piston, check end gap, stagger end gaps around piston, no end gap over wrist pin, oil em up, use hose clamp over rings, install piston in cylinder:thumbsup:

Dont you have to stagger them as well?
So the seams dont line up?
Yep.. the gap goes to...Top ring at 12 o'clock...second ring at 6 o'clock... the last ring (3parts)....the band goes to 12 o'clock..the top thin ring goes to 3 o'clock...and bottom thin ring goes to 9 o'clock.

buckeye

I know that part.
This end gap thing is scaring me.
I don't know the year and the shroud is not the original. Ddddaaaahhg. Half cocked again.:laugh:

old-timer

Scamming Member
Setting the ring gap is not all that hard Tom, all you need is a set of feeler gauges. Set the ring in the cylinder and make sure it's square buy using the piston. Check your gap and file as needed.

buckeye

Is it running yet. Bwwaaahhhhaaaaa!!!!!!!

I got this nice little package deal, engine specific.
It came with heavier valve springs, a little souped up cam, I shaved the brows. And wrote a letter to Gillette, complaining their razors ain't worth a crap. :laugh:

I ported the intake and exhaust. Followed the multitude of suggestions on this fine mini bike site. Lots of great info in the bowels of this forum.

A set of rings came withe the deal and certainly they are right for tgis engine.

So just stretch em open and slide them down as Cheez suggested??
Got it.

This thing should be fun. First time for opening a side cover, ever.:laugh: