My 1976 Skiroule Sonar 300T Resto

Some more pictures...
View attachment 58506
View attachment 58507
As you can see I stripped the sled bare, and there was quite a bit of rust in the belly pan. I was going to blast it, weld in some patch panels, and paint it, but my friend's uncle who restores and races lots of vintage sleds had a skiroule rt chassis that had been blasted and painted already, with no rust! plus he had all the other parts I needed, so for $200 I had a good chassis, the black dash cowling, and a solid hood that only needs some minor repairs.
View attachment 58508
View attachment 58509
View attachment 58510
View attachment 58511
I just finished pulling apart the motor this morning, a Kohler K295-2AX. I found some NOS piston rings for it, got a good pot, piston, wrist pin and bearing from a friend because one of mine was bad. I also have to take my crank in to be pressed apart and new bearings put on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Weirdest looking boat I've ever seen! :laugh: Nice seeing you Clay! Are you going to have this thing running in time for the season? (I realize your Winters are 10 months long) :laugh:

Here are pics of the new pot and piston, plus a surprise I found in the bottom of the crank case when I split it.
View attachment 58512
View attachment 58513
The old bearing and wrist pin, you can feel indents from the rollers in the bearing on it.
View attachment 58514
View attachment 58515
Another bonus of the new chassis, it came with original skiroule skis on it, just have to paint them back to silver. My starter sled came with Polaris Colt skis and a widening kit. Probably would be less tipsy but I want to go back to original because I have been told by 3 Skiroule collectors that very few sleds like mine were built, 2 said they've only seen pictures. I don't expect the value to go up $$$ but it will be nice to be running something different at the vintage derbies.
View attachment 58518
View attachment 58517

Weirdest looking boat I've ever seen! :laugh: Nice seeing you Clay! Are you going to have this thing running in time for the season? (I realize your Winters are 10 months long) :laugh:
Thanks Dave, I'm glad to be back. I'm hoping to get it running 100% by my Christmas break in December so I can break it in for the vintage ride in January. The only thing I can see not bring done is the hood and decals.

my buddies dad had a 447 rtx when we were kids.was a decent sled back in the day.
almost killed myself on it when I hit a ditch at about 40 :scared: dead stop
looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
bring it to Waconia this winter.i'd go just to meet ya

That would be great Todd, but with my school I won't be able to make it this year. Maybe in the next year or so. I am planning on switching to a welder once my machinist course is over so things are pretty busy right now. Got your sleds all ready for snow?

good for you to further your schooling clay.
the raiders are ready.
ski-doo needs fuel lines and a filter
wildcat is always good to go
my boy is dying to ride last years build-off bike again
just need some of the white stuff

what's up with the rollo-flex?

Thanks Todd. What kind of ski-doo is that?

My rolloflex is next up after this one. Not getting a restoration but I picked up a parts sled for it with next to new suspension and a fairly new track put on it before it was parked in the '80's. The tunnel on my 'flex is twisted so I'm going to swap chassis.

View attachment 58547
View attachment 58548
Besides for being dirty the track is really good.

73 olyimpic,got it from rick(chatten) smoking deal. been siting for years,fired right up.
didn't even have to clean the carb,runs great.
funny how those old tracks are. suprising the sleds even go anywhere with what little lug they have on 'em

That's a really nice survivor. :thumbsup: It is a wonder how they move with such small lugs, last year with all the snow my 'flex spun a lot while going through powder because it wouldn't hook up. The new sleds have big paddles now, my buddy's new Skidoo Summit 800 came with a 2-1/4" paddles.

Got the parts sled stripped and out of the shop, now I'm going to start in redoing all the suspension while I send the crank away to be split and get new bearings pressed on.

View attachment 58610
View attachment 58611
During its life somebody decided to force a larger fastener into the threads causing a bunch of damage. The threaded piece looks to be an insert of some sort so hopefully I can remove it and make a new one to press in.
View attachment 58612
View attachment 58613
View attachment 58614

I took the crank to a powersport shop and they are partnered with a machinist who will press apart my crank and install new bearings. They told me $200 + tax so I'm pretty happy with that. One of the outside bearings was stuck, both the inner bearing were rough and had chatter. The one con. rod bearing was good but the other was very rough and scored up the crank pin so I have to round up those because I can't find them new.

I'll probably start redoing all the wiring this weekend. Gotta get some work done while the forecast looks good......snow for the rest of this week and all of next. :biggrin:

My piston rings are here, started painting the leafs springs on the skis, got the sled on saw horses and got the exhaust painted. I ordered some 5910 Loctite today, same stuff Skidoo uses for all there repairs, so once the crank is done I will be ready to go.

Gotta get this guy wrapped up because there is almost enough snow to ride here, and before long it will be build off time and I need to pile up my parts. :thumbsup:

wjustice

Instead of rebuilding your crank can you just replace it? When I was building the k340 2ax engine for my RTS trike I had 3 bad bearings on 2 different cranks. I picked up a good crank off eBay for $25 shipped. The 295/340 2ax and 2fa engines all use the same crank. My crank came out of a 79 John Deere Spitfire.

I looked on ebay and couldn't find one when I looked so I took my crank to get split and new bearings. I had a couple parts cranks with good con. rod bearings and pins, and it is gonna cost me $200+tax to get that all done with new crank bearings. I'm happy I went this route, that way I know I have good bearings in it. :thumbsup:

getting there clay. you painting the hood?
no white stuff here yet.got the oly all good to go
might get some lake effect this weekend

I had a 92 elan like this one

It would move at a snails pace but it never got stuck even when my brother tree'd his indy 500 I pulled that wreck about 26 miles with him on the back and it never had an issue.

We have a good base now Todd, forecasting snow for tonight, tomorrow and Friday so hopefully. I'll probably take one of the sleds for a spin this weekend. I will be painting the hood, just now sure when. I have some body work to do first, then depends on my budget.

Getting out on the lakes should be good, there are guys ice fishing here already.

Nice Elan MIpowdercoater, a friend of mine uses one to tow the broke down sleds back home on the vintage derby he puts on.