nos tecumseh charging coil, factory high ouput option???

By "higher output" desired from the 2 coil Rupp stator, are you seeking higher Voltage or Amps?

Asked differently, what does the Rupp stator not power, that you wish it could power?

A wiring diagram of the existing Rupp setup would help me, I am interested to see if its AC-powered lights or if it has rectifier, etc.

By "higher output" desired from the 2 coil Rupp stator, are you seeking higher Voltage or Amps?

Asked differently, what does the Rupp stator not power, that you wish it could power?

A wiring diagram of the existing Rupp setup would help me, I am interested to see if its AC-powered lights or if it has rectifier, etc.
The original Rupp set up was two separate AC outputs. No rectifier or VR. One side was head lamp, the other side tail and brake. In that configuration, the six volt lamps worked fine, albeit flickering at idle. I used 30 watt on the six volt head lamp.

Are these two coils grounded to the engine on one end, or did Tecumseh leave both ends of the coils floating? I know you follow where I am headed with this. Flicker-free 12 Volt power may be at hand if the coils are open-ended. As you said Dave, they need to be phased correctly in series, but that can accomplished with a DC Volt meter.

If revved-up Volts are too high, any of the above 12 Volt full-wave rectifier/regulators could work, especially with a couple of 25 Volt 1,000 uf capacitors added to the output. There is also a simple 12 Volt AC regulator for dirt bikes that would work as well.

MB165

on the standard magneto plates (rupp too) it is unregulated ac voltage, each coil powers a light, head and tail. the coils are not connected, one lead to each of the connector pins. the other end of the winding its grounded. when i tied the coils together last year i dont remember the arrangement, it wasnt inner to outer for sure, but i had low output, id prefer to increase voltage.
those regulators you are referring to are good units, saw many of them on small tractors and mowers, usually the stators died before the regs did.
i have a handful of the motorcycle regs im gonna post up for sale soon

on another note i looked at a honda motorcycle stator it had 4 poles wound out of 12. each coil was wound just like this 3 pole tecumseh inner to outer with the first one wound passing off to other in the same direction as the flywheel

Last edited:
How-To Rewire Tecumseh Charging Coils for High Output

Thanks for clarifying one end of each winding is grounded. Means each coil produces 1/2 wave AC, isolated from the other coil.

Tecumseh Charging Coil Mod How-To is 5 pages that explain the stock 2-coil Tecumseh setup with 12 magnet flywheel, the wrong way to float the ground, and the 2 good ways to do the modification.

You can rewire for either double the Volts, or double the Amps. :thumbsup:

Jon