Plans for the holiday weekend?

Head out to the Lake Saturday after work. Put the battery in the 39 Ford and fire it up,drink some Beer,BBQ and hang out with the family.

I've got some shit to take care of Saturday during the day and may hang out with a friend that I haven't seen in years. I ran into him at my work earlier in the week. Saturday night I'm going to the Warbringer/Vektor/Hatchet show out in SF with my roommate and another friend. Sunday I'll hang out with my dad some in the morning. Sunday afternoon is my lady friend's kid's 8th b-day party that will turn into adult party in the evening. Monday is going to be a recovery day.

We're going to camp out near Oregon's Hart Mountain. It's close to the point where Oregon, California and Nevada come together. We'll walk around in the desert and pick up pieces of sunstone, or labradorite, Oregon's official state gem. There are little pieces just lying on the ground. Dig deep and you might find a big one. My buddy and I stumbled on this while exploring on dirt bikes a year ago, and decided it would be a good place to visit again w/family. Here's a pic I found on the internet of some that are faceted and polished, and some other pics from our last trip. The dish in the bottom pic has lots of pieces of sunstone, a chunk of obsidian, and some other rocks that I'm not sure of.

Last edited:
my kids(and i) are rock hounds. we have a rock garden, seems the only thing we can put in the flower bed that stays there, alive.
we will be going to the Big Bend desert in Oct. camping, rock/fossil hunting on the mini bike.
those are some pretty gems.

WLB

My "holiday" started yesterday with trimming back tree limbs that hit me when I cut grass and continued today with cutting up and loading on the trailer a 30 foot apple tree that blew over in the last storm. As soon as I drink another glass of tea I'll head back to the shop to finish up filling in the hole and then cutting grass there. My son helped me load branches and a friend across from the shop came over with his backhoe and took out the stump. Tomorrow I will deal with another downed tree here at home and hopefully Monday I can just sit in my chair and try to move. Trees in the city are a major pain.

update, i cleaned 9 crappie yesterday, we didnt fish long. this morning cleaned 30, caught more but they were to small. fishing was great til about noon, then it shut down. going outin the morning, hoping for some more. all in all an excellent day for the family. took the son and my niece to ride go carts this evening. ready for more crappie

buckeye

Fish Fry at Catfishes!:laugh:

You ain't ate good fresh water fish until you have a crappie slab on a piece of fresh white bread.:thumbsup:

old-timer

Scamming Member
Update
We had wind+ rain most of the weekend but managed to still have a good time. Sun wasn't to bad and we were able to sit around the campfire. Wouldn't you know, Mon was perfect because that's the day we had to pack up and head home :shrug:

All in all, it was still a fun weekend and Jennie is already trying to pick where she wants to go next weekend lol :laugh: It's supposed to be really nice and in the 90s here, so it will be a great chance to camp in dry weather :laugh:

Vic

old-timer

Scamming Member
Get to the great outdoors!!!
:thumbsup: We love it Tom. Its something we've been doing for 40ys lol. We love just sitting around the campfire :smile: My daughter+son inlaw have a camper as well, and usually go with us. Naturally the grand kids love it, and we always have a great time.

Vic

I've got some shit to take care of Saturday during the day and may hang out with a friend that I haven't seen in years. I ran into him at my work earlier in the week. Saturday night I'm going to the Warbringer/Vektor/Hatchet show out in SF with my roommate and another friend. Sunday I'll hang out with my dad some in the morning. Sunday afternoon is my lady friend's kid's 8th b-day party that will turn into adult party in the evening. Monday is going to be a recovery day.
Figured I'd update my own post.

Ran errands Saturday. Pre-gamed the metal show and got way too drunk, ran into a guy I worked with years ago at it. Was too drunk to have conversation, did the "HEY!!!! I know you!!!" and left it at that. Saw dad on Sunday morning and nursed the hangover. Got way too hahahahaing drunk at the party Sunday, saw one person I used to hate and decided he was ok. We went on a drunken adventure to find a ball that went over the fence and had fun. Don't remember much of the night and had the worst hangover I've had in awhile on Monday. Spending all day on Reddit while hungover and getting a paid day off is ok though.

I'm seeing my friend that had the party this Friday. Since I don't remember a lot of it I'm not sure if I hahahahaed up or not (I don't think I raged). I'm the odd one and sometimes act inappropriately around her friends/family when I've had too much. They do kind of expect it though. :doah:

We had a great time gathering rocks near Lakeview, Oregon. That's in the south-central part of the state, close to the California and Nevada borders. The terrain is volcanic, and there are some hot springs. There were five people in our group. We spent one night at a hotel in Lakeview before heading out to camp the desert. The hotel had a hot spring-fed pool, and there is a geyser on the property that squirts every few minutes. I forgot to take a photo of it. I did get a pic of this American Avocet that was wading in a pool near the geyser. The rock-gathering site is about 20 miles off the pavement. My poor little Honda got a flat tire on the rough road. Spring weather and heavy showers were all around us, but we only felt some sprinkles. Wet sagebrush smells great. I love being in the desert. The pile of sunstones and random dark rocks is just about half of the final haul. And even though you just stoop over and pick them up off the ground, I brought hard hats for everyone so we'd look like pros. It was a fun time.

i have one of those pics that i will be using in Nov when we go rock hunting.

here is the bike loaded on the car. rode great and didn't cost any money to modify the carrier. on the way back i left i left the wheel on and it was a little quicker.