Raptor?????

Doc1976

I need a little help figuring out if this motor is a raptor or regular 5 horse. I don't know if this photo is any help or not, but...
I read somewhere that one way to identify is by the governor shaft Not being there and the hole for it never being drilled into the casting. If you zoom in on the photo, you can see(I think) that the hole has not been drilled. Any Help guys?

Doc1976

Yeah thinking of purchasing. I really don't need a 5 horse regular motor, as I have an I/C sitting in the shop ready to go too. So it may be a deal breaker if it's not a raptor although the price is right either way I think.

Doc1976

Well as you can tell from the photo, the ID tag is missing from the shroud. He also has a "racing" tecumseh motor and we settled on $50 each.

You are correct about the governor hole. Also it would have a bearing side cover. It definitely should have a huge patch job in the front ( sorry it's been awhile) also should have a plastic plug in the top of the side cover on the top left side. Also used for a crank case breather.
Any raptor I've had had a factory kill switch mounted to the shroud on the right side. If it's not there shoul be 2 or 3 holes where it was mounted.
I'd say for $50 bucks you can't go wrong even if it's not a raptor. As you can see you can easily make your money back and keep the racing Tecumseh. Which I'd like to see a picture of if you have one.

Anyone else have any help as to weather or not this is a raptor or the best way to tell without opening it up?
Even if it is a raptor I'd recommend opening it up. It's worth the price of a gasket set to see if all the internals are as they should be. These were race ready engines and were pushed to the limits.

I'll say this, They are worth the asking price each in parts. Raptor or not, That is a great price. The question I'd be asking is if they were run on Methanol? If so, and they were not cleaned and stored properly (It looks like they were not) Plan on a rebuild due to moisture contamination.

Doc1976

so If they were run on methanol, and I wanted to go back to running on pump gas, what would be required? carb jetting? carb replacement?

I believe a replacement. I'm not a Tilly expert, but once they are modified for the methanol I believe they cannot be reversed.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

Doc1976

well I picked up the two motors today. I thought I would post a few more pics. The guy said they had not been run in several years, they are both set up for alcohol and the briggs was heavily modified. quick compression test showed 100 on the briggs and 80-85 on the tec. I'm not quite sure what direction to go with them. I was thinking of going back to pump gas. The seller told me the briggs may not run on pump gas though, I'm guessing high compression ratio? I figure I will at least have to open them up to see what the internals look like.

also any suggestions or guesses as to exactly what I have here will be appreciated.