Replacing a cat99 TAV with a Series 30 TAV on a Hilltopper ... PICS

NOTE *I made my own jackshaft a while back to replace the worn one so this isn't 100% accurate to a stock jackshaft install. *

The driven and Driver are 30 Series Chinese, the belt is genuine Comet #203590A

While I had the shaft out I put 1/4-20 tapped holes on the ends of the shaft ... I drilled 3/4" deep and hand tapped.
The shaft was made from CRS rod.

There were spacers I made that went with the cat99 setup that were not needed as the 30 Driven is about .350 wider.

On the sprocket side I removed some shims and used the circle clip then I put a 1/4-20 button head with washers on the end as a security measure.
IMG_1630.JPG

On the driven side that left the jackshaft about .020 below the driven outer surface. If I would have tightened the button head it would have pulled on the jackshaft putting a side load on the circle clip on the sprocket side, not good.
There is a 2-1/2" spacer behind the driven, I ground about .025 off the end to allow the driven to slide further on the jackshaft, now there is about .005 sticking out. The circle clip and spacers will not be needed.
IMG_1631.JPG

Yes this did throw my belt lineup off by about .025 ... I can live with that. I could have milled the Driven tho.
IMG_1632.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

The only other problem I've found so far is the TAV cover will hit the Driven as its wider.
I will make 2 1/2" spacers at work for each of the 2 mounting points.
IMG_1635.JPG

So how does it perform?
Wowzer Wowzerton!
It is replacing a 46 year old worn unit so for me it was dramatic.

I'm not bragging about my weight at 285 lbs but keep that in mind as I describe how the TAVs perform.

cat99:
Pull the rope and the bike starts, with a liberal twist of the throttle the front end pulls up and your on the back wheel.
Approach a hill and the motor bogs down because the driven and driver springs are worn and cant get it into "low" without stopping. There is a "much felt" vibration at speed.

Series 30:
Pull the rope and the bike starts. Twist the throttle and the bike begins to move smoothly, the front tire stays down and engine RPMs go up like the belt is slipping like it is supposed to.
I have a sandy hill on my street ... the bike hits the hill and promptly the driven snaps closed and I'm in "low" gear and the back tire is not stopping, the bike stops because I cant get enough grip in the sand. I go at the hill again at a slightly better speed ... the bike hits the hill and the transition from speed to power is smooth, I make it to the top with ease.
On the street it seems to take a little longer to get to top speed but it seems to go faster when I'm there, all perfectly acceptable to me as trail riding is the bikes main focus.
The only vibration I feel is from the H50 popping away.

I am 100% satisfied.

Just got back from a 10 mile or so street ride ... (my Hilltopper is registered as a moped) ...
The bike now has some get up and go ... the belt slips enough to keep the engine up in its power band and grabs enough to get it up to speed. Seat of my pants tells me the bike is faster on the top end .. if traffic was any indication I would say the bike does 40+.
We are planning to hit the trails tomorrow ... lets see how it does on and off the gas fast ....

My wife has an identical Hilltopper with the cat99. I fired it up and I can feel a difference ... the cat99 Driver wants to grab the belt, the bike shudders slightly as its getting up to speed.
May have to do the wife's bike just so she can keep up with mine!

The wife and I just went for a 5 or so mile ride .. I traded bikes with her ... big difference, hers is slower and vibrated to beat the band.
I just ordered her the same series 30 setup.

delray

cool ..........:thumbsup: glad it work for you........:scooter: 30 series are the way to go on a bike like that.
i purchase the same unit. i like it and all,but with it mounted on my built ohh-motor it has been eating the built up. going to get a comet nos belt for it and see what it will do. also notes they rate the torque converter for 11hp and on a original comet they only rate it for 8hp.....:eek:ut: what every......:doah: i going to just ride it and have fun with it.........:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Job very well done Kevin! How nice to have the knowledge AND professional machine shop tools to be able to get the job done right. Yes, I am envious!
Michael

Trail riding Review ....

My 30 series Hilltopper was smooth as butter! I imagine that's how it was supposed to be new.

My wife's cat99 Hilltopper is worn pretty bad.
The clutch slips then grabs yanking up the front end. It shudders going up hills and cant switch to low. When applying the brake the driver keeps pulling the belt and you hear the belt slip and squeal on the slowing or not moving driven.

If the bike was just driven parade style or across school fields these things would not be nearly as noticeable.
These bikes are driven at top speed on the street and beat on in switchback/hilly style trails.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Great restomod, nice writeup!

On the street it seems to take a little longer to get to top speed
And that could be changed by moving the spring assuming it is still in the middle hole as it came from the factory. Or by ordering a different weight spring from Comet.

I'm sure you are aware of this, just clarifying for anyone who has never played around with torque converters. :thumbsup:

Update ...

Got the New TAV and belt setup, identical to mine, installed on her bike .. I haven't been on the trails but it performs on the street exactly like mine ...

So swapping out a cat99 for a Series 30 was successful for me!

well i guess im gonna have to ditch saving the cat99 on my hilltopper. it didnt have the correct front pulley but did have the correct thin belt... so it would rev up and then grab and then try to throw you off. not fun.... wish i had the original covers to hide the newer parts....

well i guess im gonna have to ditch saving the cat99 on my hilltopper. it didnt have the correct front pulley but did have the correct thin belt... so it would rev up and then grab and then try to throw you off. not fun.... wish i had the original covers to hide the newer parts....
You will likely have the tap the ends of the jackshaft as the circle clips will have to be eliminated.
I drilled .750 deep and hand tapped 1/4-20
Also the Driven will stick out .350 more ..

Update:
The wife drove it around the block yesterday .. she was very happy ... also at 100lbs less than me her bike pulls away from mine ands gained top speed like mine did ..
While the belt is a Comet the Driver and Driven are Chinese ... I don't know if Comet brand would perform better but I am completely satisfied with the Chinese setup ... so far ... I will update if issues arise ...