Sachs Saxonette Transmission Fluid - Problem or Normal?

Calling all Saxonette owners.

I was changing the transmission fluid in one of my Sachs engines the other day and noticed a metallic swirl. This is from a 47cc Saxonette on an Arctic Cat. I've been around these engines since the late 70's, with a 30 year break in between, but have never gotten around to asking others for their experience. I've seen this before.

I got a metallic swirl in the drained fluid. No chunks, thankfully. Obviously some wear. Normal or not normal for this type of transmission? I've done complete rebuilds on these engines (not this particular one) and the gears in the 2 speed auto transmission are very sharp.

This engine, however, is NOS and this is the first time I changed the fluid. It's had maybe 10-15 hours of use. Time will tell if this is a result of breaking in a new engine, normal wear, or major problem.

Any other Saxonette owners have experience with this situation?

When I rebuild Honda overheads I see the same swirl on first oil changes but see less and less in further changes down the road. Have rebuilt two Sachs but truthfully can't remember. Hopefully just normal break in type stuff.

I see the same sparkly stuff though less and less up to about 150 miles on my rebuilt Honda motors. And my magnetic drain plug picks up a lot of this as a pasty grey metallic peach fuzz. By 150 miles, I am on my fourth oil change during the break in. Call me crazy but even Honda GN4 oil is cheap compared to doing another rebuild.

Eventually, it stops accumulating so I would not worry too much.

Rick

Two Honda ST90 and Two CT90 Bikes

Thanks for the info! Thankfully ATF+IV is cheap and I get about 3 changes in a quart.

Now if I can just figure out how to add a magnet in there so that it stays put. I wonder if one of those tiny super strong magnets with some JB Weld would stick to the aluminum case with all that transmission fluid sloshing around.

If I find a really small one (1/4" dia or so) I could stick one to the end of the drain plug and another to the end of the fluid level control plug. That way I don't have to remove the cover and I can remove the filings easily.

Anyone tried something like this?