Snow Bike Build

First off all the inspiration for this build comes from Yoop's Monkey-Trax build off bike that he did a couple years ago. I think I came across the build looking for information for my Gilson and as soon as I saw a picture of Monkey-Trax I knew I needed to build something similar.

Inspiration

I picked up a snowblower off Craigslist. It turns out tracked blowers are generally pretty expensive but I eventually found a deal I couldn't pass up. It's a 8hp Craftsman that had a perfect set of tracks and an engine that runs great, including working electric start. In June I picked up a Huffy from from Chad that I'll be using.

I've finally gotten the snowblower torn down so I can doing a little test fitting and more serious planning.

I'll be using the snowblowers stock 8HP Tecumseh and retaining the electric start. I plan on using a Comet 30 series clutch paired with a Comet F/N/R gearbox to drive the tracks. All of that will require stretching the frame a couple inches. I plan setting the up front skis very similar to Yoop. I'm currently searching for a set of small skis with built in leaf springs. I need to straighten up my workbench at work and then I'll be taking everything there to start cutting and welding as I wait for parts to come in. My goal is to have everything together and working by the middle of December so when we get some snow it'll be ready to drive. After winter when everything is proven and working well I'll break it down for paint and powdercoat.

see we dont have cool crap like that here in the south. no need for a snowblower... so where do i find tracks from? maybe i want to build a mud mini with tracks! but noooo...

guess ill have to be some kinda genius like jeep and build my own treads

ive got so many junk bikes, maybe ill build a mini kettengrad... jeep you in? lol

delray

poor old huffy bike. i do like that the big block is shoehorn in...........:laugh:.......:thumbsup:

snow is coming.........:thumbsup:

Go with posi in the back.I'm going to either lock up the diff or put a straight shaft on ours.Doesn't like to go through the deeper stuff with just one track spinning.Posi shouldn't really affect the steering much in the snow .

I brought everything to work today so I can start doing the serious building. Today consisted of stripping the bike down a little farther and cutting the frame apart so I can start mocking things up better. I'll get more gas for my welder tomorrow so I can start tacking things in place.

The frame had an odd patch on it. I was hoping it was something weird as part of kickstand or something but of course it's a total break in the frame.

Original paint color. It would be cool to incorporate this into the bike somehow but I've got too many old powders I need to use up so I'm not going to buy anything new.

I cut the frame apart to start test fitting the Comet F/N/R gearbox in. On the lower part of the frame I cut the bike where it was broken on the right side. May as well incorporate fixing the frame and stretching it all in one. Looks like about a 4" stretch will be good. I would really like to shorten the shaft that the driven pulley comes out of the gearbox. Any ideas how I might go about that? I'd like to take about 1.5" off but I still need to be able to put a nut on the end. If I can't shorten it I'll just hide it all under the torque converter cover I'm going to build but cutting that down will allow for better packaging.

The 8hp engine really sticks out on the right side using the stock engine plate holes. I may wind up shifting the engine over a little to the engine and torque converter stick out the same.

Go with posi in the back.I'm going to either lock up the diff or put a straight shaft on ours.Doesn't like to go through the deeper stuff with just one track spinning.Posi shouldn't really affect the steering much in the snow .
Good to know. That was the plan. I bought a long jackshaft from McMaster Carr that will serve as the solid rear axle.

I'm not a fan on the looks of a headlight on mini's but I hope you keep it on this build!! Really adds to the overall look of what you got going on!! :thumbsup: