Snow Bike Build

Awesome progress! :thumbsup:Not to make your life any more challenging, but have you given any thought to the location of the shifter and how sensitive body parts might be impacted on a bad bounce or jolt in the snow?:innocent: Perhaps shorter or a padded t-handle? Just thinking....:wink:

Awesome progress! :thumbsup:Not to make your life any more challenging, but have you given any thought to the location of the shifter and how sensitive body parts might be impacted on a bad bounce or jolt in the snow?:innocent: Perhaps shorter or a padded t-handle? Just thinking....:wink:
I don't think it will be an issue. Even with the shifter all the way back its only at your knees.

Productive day today. I welded bearing hangers to the inside of the track plates. They originally had a plastic bushing that I don't think would last long at any decent speed.

One of my skis had a hole on the front so I cut that out and welded a patch in.

The stock bracket on the skis didn't leave a lot meat on the bone after I drilled them out for the larger axles I needed to put in them so I welded in spacers. I have some spacers on the way that will finish up the rear.

The rear of the car is finally starting to come together. I got a bracket welded on the back. That will locate the tracks and keep them from rotating on the axle. I also welded spacers on the swingarm to put the tracks at the right width.

I got my shifter linkage figured out. I mocked up some rough brackets to figure out the lengths and geometry of what I would need. Everything came together much easier than I expected. The shifter now moves the gearbox from Forward-Neutral-Reverse. I'll now work on making the real brackets and linkages needed.

I cut out the stock steering neck. I really wanted to use the stock forks and handlebars but the more I looked at it, it just wasn't going to work. I couldn't get the fork lowers apart and they really didn't accommodate the steering shaft I need to add. I welded a new tube in for now. I have some bushings on there way in and then I can work on building the forks. I also got the spindles welded together.

I have a number of bearings, bushings and rod ends coming in this week so I can get the forks and shifter finished. I'm still not sure what to do for handlebars. I had planned on using the ones that came with the frame even though I wasn't crazy about them but now they really aren't going to work. I might copy Yoop once again and cut the handlebars up to make my exhaust. I need to do some looking at handlebars and see if I can find a style I like for this project.

Last edited:
The wooden blocks are gone. It's standing on it's own for the first time ever.

Tomorrow I hope to get more work done on the steering and maybe even get handlebars built.

Not a real productive weekend. I would up running out of gas for my welder pretty early Sat and I can't get more till Monday so I didn't get much done.

I did get my table cleaned up a bit.

I got a little more work done on the front end.

I'm going to use the original Huffy headlight. I tried spreading the mounts to the would fit around the neck in the forks but that didn't work so well. I then cut the bracket ends off and welded them in a different position. This allows me to bolt the headlight on in a good position and use bolts that were already being used to keep the forks from turning on the frame.

I also got this taillight/brakelight in. I wanted to something that would fit the style of the build and preferably from a Ford(I'm a Ford guy) so I bought this '49 Ford car light of ebay. It's a little bigger than expected. I hope it's going to look ok.