The Mikuni v. Chikuni comparison

CarPlayLB

I have heard so many times "I just got a genuine Mikuni carb and it was only $29.00 on Amazon!" and in true journalistic fashion, I am trying to debunk this common urban myth!
Genuine Mikuni carbs typically sell for $70-$110 dollars for a VM22 flange type carb. The typical confused consumer will Google shop and see it on Amazon at $29.00 and think that Amazon's buying power allows them this awesome deal...and that's when they actually receive the "Chikuni" carb which was offered by the very reputable Amazon website as the real thing. Amazon does not care about police-ing their sellers. They are a money driven machine that moves products from someone that sits in their garage after their trip Guanxing Dingdong province of China and has a brother that makes carbs...labeled as Mikuni! Apparently Mikuni has done nothing to prevent the importation of these items, and like I mentioned, Amazon does not care, they want their percentage!
This is not a "mine's better than yours" thread...both are nice carbs! The Chikuni's have proven themselves as solid performers. Just be informed that the parts from these two carbs do not interchange!

PLEASE NOTE! MIKUNI IS ON THE LEFT, CHIKUNI ON THE RIGHT!

Please notice in this pic that I have aligned the mounting flange up on the grid line the same for both carbs

You will notice that the Chikuni sits a bit lower and is a much smaller carb than the Mikuni.

Now, let's take a look at the flange side. When someone buys a manifold for a Mikuni and then complains that it does not fit, here is why

Notice how the Mikuni bolt holes are in line with the inlet? Notice how the Chikuni inlet not in line, but the centerline is much lower. Even if you get past the different bolt spacing and are able to mount this, you most likely will have a very large vacuum leak. If you bought a manifold for a 22 Mikuni, chances are you ordered the right part, just the wrong carb!

The slides in these carbs are also very different. The Mikuni is nearly 50% larger than its counterpart!

If your "Genuine Chikuni Mikuni" has a casting mark of a hex head bolt on its side, it is probably not a real Mikuni...and it's not "made in Japan" it has "Japan T/A"...which either means "technical assurance" or something with a brass pole!

So, here ya go! That is my .02

I am not hatin' on the Chikuni...I have used several and they work well. It is just not a real Mikuni and I don't pretend that I know the difference, I do know!

Last edited:
Thank you. It is so refreshing to see a post containing accurate, technical information. Great job of deciphering and illustrating the differences!

WLB

It's possible the Amazon carb was made for Mikuni in China. Japanese companies have products made for them in China the same way U S companies have products made for them in Mexico and other places where the labor is cheaper.

It's possible the Amazon carb was made for Mikuni in China. Japanese companies have products made for them in China the same way U S companies have products made for them in Mexico and other places where the labor is cheaper.
Doubtful unless they were for a localized market.

Thanks for taking the time to do this! As usual you get what you pay for.

Do you have a suggestion where the best place night be to get a TRUE Mikuni carb?

Itype2slo

China especially does not care about Japanese copyrights one bit. They have been knocking of the Honda engines from day one. Bad blood between those two.

delray

good information.........:thumbsup: so the only two things that will interchange are the pilot and jets....:shrug:

trinik7597

Very informative !!!! You should do a whole series... A video on tuning these carbs would help a lot of people !!! Maybe a sub video or article on the coralation between carb size , valve size , flow , jetting and engine displacement for some of our entry level builders

WLB

Doubtful unless they were for a localized market.
From the amazon website:
I deal with lots of Japanese manufacturers. They have extremely strict rules and tight requirements on their products. Typically when a new model is introduced, it is first made in the Japan factory. Once the production process has been streamlined, the manufacturing is then transfered to off-shore factory (in China or Malaysia) to reduce labor cost. The components used are the same, the manufacturing process is the same, and each finished product goes through the same quality control before it can be shipped. So if you trust the brand name, you should trust the quality no matter... »

Just compared 3 carbs the OKO 24mm, a Chinese mikuni that has the oval style slide and while it measures 26mm at the flange I think it is like a 22 or 24mm in the slide venturi area, and a molkt 24mm on the flowbench. All carbs had the top removed and the slide clamped with the bottom of the slide right at the top of the air inlet opening so as to not cause a restriction.
OKO 24mm =91.65 CFM
Chinese mikuni 86 CFM
Molkt carb 99.4
Of these three carbs I have only used the mikuni copy and it has run real well. Want to try the other two just to see how they run.

No I do have a bunch of take off stock predator and greyhound carbs I could test but no reworked ones as I never use them. Its 20 degrees today but next week back in the 70's I can test one if its of interest. Which of the different brands are best to test?

trinik7597

Ruixing and kein hin stock would be nice to know !! I have been told the hemi stock carb has a slightly larger venturi .. not sure if that is accurate or not .. I am thinking of playing around with some bored s/a carbs on my mild builds .. thinking I can get the same power out of them as with a 22mm mikuni was just curious about numbers on maybe a .650 or .670

CarPlayLB

From the amazon website:
I deal with lots of Japanese manufacturers. They have extremely strict rules and tight requirements on their products. Typically when a new model is introduced, it is first made in the Japan factory. Once the production process has been streamlined, the manufacturing is then transfered to off-shore factory (in China or Malaysia) to reduce labor cost. The components used are the same, the manufacturing process is the same, and each finished product goes through the same quality control before it can be shipped. So if you trust the brand name, you should trust the quality no matter... »
Can you provide a link to this? Sounds to me like the seller is justifying himself! I don't know if I am buying that story. The carbs could not be more different!