Tom Thumb Minibike Build - Retro Super Mini

It looks like one of the many pocket bike type engines.
I got a 49cc engine similar to that but with a TAV type clutch attachd to it if I ever get some time I will put it to use.

This site (PBU engines) has some interesting engines that would look great in a tom thumb bike.

dont know about you guys but I am putting thought and supplies together to make one. Probably going to be Honda or one of the Chinese ebay engines. It seems simple. We will see.:thumbsup:

i looked at at the pbu website.... hard to imagind 12 hp from a 47cc motor.... why don't more people use these on minis... is there a disadvantage im not seeing, other than high cost....?

They are 2 strokes which isnt my favorite type of engine but they are light and quick.

I wonder how long one of those engines will run before detonating.

Liquid cooled 2 stroke in a clean, simple, small minibike frame (Tom Thumb frame) would be an eye catcher.

I think most people wouldnt use them just because they dont have that classic minibike engine look/sound/feel.

Anyway I do have a 2 stroke with a TAV clutch that will get used in a homemade (Tom Thumb sized) minibike frame ASAP.(I just need time)

The problem with them is they make 12hp when there screaming at 9000+ rpms, They still do not have any torque at lower rpm's, On a minibike you need your torque at the bottom and mid range of the engine for best performance, All power at the top end makes a sluggish minibike on take offs.

tom,that is one realy nice tom thumb,the only problem with it is it in the wrong place,it realy shuld be in my living room !!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oldsalt

i looked at at the pbu website.... hard to imagind 12 hp from a 47cc motor.... why don't more people use these on minis... is there a disadvantage im not seeing, other than high cost....?
For me it's not merely 'hard to imagine' 12 HP from a 47cc motor, I find it another piece of BS from an engine maker/builder. I was born at night, but not last night. Lets see here: 16.4 CC per cubic inch makes the 47 cc motor displace <3 cubic inches. 12 HP devide by 3 cubic inches = >4 HP per cubic inch. Simply not possible for a naturally asperated piston engine unless they are talking about really small horses. Maybe anemic ponys is what they are talking about. When money is involved you can expect outfits like that to say anything to make a buck.

WOW I'm sorry I even posted that site as I see its turning this into "one of those threads".
Funny thing is that the Tom Thumb minibike is one of the real, original pocketbike sized minibikes, its funny how things change but stay the same.

I really love the Tom Thumb minibike and hope to get the chance to build one this winter.I have a little engine and some wheels/tires to use and the fun part will be making a frame but I doubt it will turn out as nice as the ones I have seen.

Looking through some pics tonight I came across a couple pics of kids sitting on the tom thumb. They really put the bikes size into perspective :thumbsup:

Hodakaguy

Thats what I like about these bikes "the size" I dont really plan to ride the one I want to make as much as put it up on a shelf.Mine wont be a true TT remake but close.

I have other toys to ride I just want to make one becaue they look cool and it will be a fun project.

I love seeing the pictures of the Tom Thumb bikes.(the kids look like they're having fun also)

Yep...Pretty much my whole family are in the pipe-fitter welder trade. I'm one of the few that isn't, I know enough to be dangerous though. :wink:

Hodakaguy
I am a union pipefitter too-3rd generation.Although i am now welding pipe & vessels in factory for the time being.Work is non existent in the trade around here.I could tell your father is a fitter by the clothes he's wearing.:thumbsup:

I am a union pipefitter too-3rd generation.Although i am now welding pipe & vessels in factory for the time being.Work is non existent in the trade around here.I could tell your father is a fitter by the clothes he's wearing.:thumbsup:
Fitters stick out like a sore thumb:thumbsup:I,m out of Local 50 in Toledo,Oh. and work is dead here. Are books are full of guys laidoff.

i have a tom thum,never had a engine on it yet,i have been thinking for a
long time i have wonted to mount 2 ohlsson & rice engines,not to run but
just to put on wall/desk/living room were its at now,,take off tin work off
to show off the realy cool finns & all, maby when randy gets better from
last weeks operation and then he gets another operation in about
90 days ,after he recovers from that one maby he can help me do it,
so friends of randy keep him in your prayers,thanks, the snake.
:hack::hack::hack::hack: