Toy hauler build

I have wanted an enclosed cargo trailer for some time , it would serve two purposes , to haul my bikes and to store them as the garage seems to be shrinking lol
My dillema was , that with a small 4cyl truck the trailer would have to be to small to be usefull

That all changed this fall when I traded up to a full size truck , 5.3 v8 with trailer towing package

hmm that opens up lots of possabilities lol

So I started looking at new trailers , yikes they sure are pricey $7k to $10k and the used ones are not much cheaper lol

The next option was to design and build my own.

What I came up with is a combination of cargo and toyhauler

I found a travel trailer frame for $400 was a 26 footer but prev owner had chopped it with a dropped rear section , it was going to be a car trailer

Today I chopped it even more lol
My final size is 17' 3" x 7' 9" w , with a total length of 21'
then I started sheeting in the floor , wow it's going to be huge lol

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm98/robtracy/2013
1020_200637_zps88e6556e.jpg

Going to be a big project lol

I love it, please keep posting pictures and thoughts!
I'd like to build one soon and wonder your thoughts as you go forward!

What's the exterior going to be???

You spray the frame first to protect it from rust and noise?
While it's accessible it would be wise!

Thanks peeps its going to be fun
The plywood is just temp for fittment then it will be painted on the bottom and the frame too
I plan to use the front as a camper with a potty closet a convertable dinette to bed a fridge and stove and some storage
In the back it will be open with a fold down bunk on each side

Last edited:
...it would serve two purposes , to haul my bikes and to store them as the garage seems to be shrinking lol...
I've got a small toy hauler, and when it's not being used for camping I just pack it with bikes. My garage seems so much larger now. Great project. :thumbsup:

Made some phone calls today while at work
Found my aluminum sheeting for the outside
$50 for 4x8 .030 plain finish aluminum
$63 for 4x8 .030 white finished alum

$21 per foot for 102" wide .030 rolled aluminum for the roof

The interior will be skinned with 1/4" meranti plywood

Looked at flooring to lol found some black and white ckeckered flag vinyl for $65 big enough to do it all

Lol you guys are killing me !

I got a bit more done last nite , wirebrushed a sprayed the top and sides of the frame with black ashault undercoating
Then painted the underside of the plywood with ext oil stain and screwed it all down with wafer head self drilling screws

There is a little bit of flex to the floor but I plan on putting a second layer of flooring before the shag carpet
Then I got a phone call from a friend who said his neighbor is scrapping a motor home and every thing is free or real cheap
I plan on looking at it tonite to see what good bits and pieces there might be

Will take more pictures as the work progresses

Then I got a phone call from a friend who said his neighbor is scrapping a motor home and every thing is free or real cheap
I plan on looking at it tonite to see what good bits and pieces there might be
That's cool Rob :thumbsup: Maybe a frig, stove, crapper and fold down banquet :drinkup: