What Material are Jack Shafts made from?

If it needs to be keyed the full length sometimes it's easier and cheaper to order a long jackshaft from OldMiniBikes and modify or cut it to fit your use.

This is what I use when I want to make a special one with woodruff keys or something like that. I order the 1566 steel it's easy to machine:

Click on "shafts" and then "driveshafts"

McMaster-Carr

Thanks KKK ... I mentioned the above steels as that's what I have available at work ... the current shaft has 3 separate keyways and 2 circle clip grooves ... unless someone has a direct replacement (it will post that!) I will be making my own.
Are CRS or SS suitable?

If I do make one (likely) and cant use CRS or SS I will give my money to OldMiniBikes as Hent & crew keep this site going so I want to return the favor ... its not business, its barter!

I made one out of SS one time and regretted it. Every jackshaft I ever hit with the "file test" was soft.

I would say no problem with whatever CRS you have on hand.

Here's one I made last week a replacement for the one in the the Spitler twin engine Bonanza. (Peekster and I ruined the old one trying to do burnouts with the bike). It's kind of an odd-ball because it's 3/4" shaft with the ends turned down 5/8" where it runs in the bearings. It also uses end caps with FH screws instead of snap-rings...I did it this way because that's the way Spitler did it back in the day but you need a LH thread on one side to keep it from backing out.

I didn't like the way the square keys looked in the milled slots so I rounded the ends on my belt sander.

Here's a neat calculator for determining keyway depth...but I usually do it the old school way .
Shaft Keyway Depth Calculator - CNCexpo.com

Last edited:
Here is what I did ..

There is a reason it happened, you can read that here at the bottom ....
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-events/114397-grand-rapids-mich-ride-6-20-15-1-00-pm.html#post958909

I had used a piece of 5/8 hardened M-2 rod for a shaft in my riding lawn mowers 2 speed transmission and that has been in there for a couple seasons, but the M-2 rod I have is only 6" long ... I know jackshafts are fairly soft and likely CRS but if I don't ask I'll likely be making another!

Thanks KKK, looks like CRS is the way to go!

Kevin