Glad to blow a hole in the case.

No rockers, no pushrods, no plastic parts, no fuel lines no ugly valve cover, and no ugly backward slanted cylinder.
Why would you use one of those high maintenance modern Chinese things?

Mr. Pink

Why would you use one of those high maintenance modern Chinese things?
Yeah, I'm heavily into preserving the classic Briggs engines with points and Pulsa Jet carbs.
But ya can't beat the convenience of picking up a brand new Predator at Harbor Freight for just over $100 on sale.

Augiedoggie

70 years ago hot rodders and purists had the same arguments about flatheads vs overhead valve motors. No secret who won the debate. I respect the "flathead forever" argument from the traditional purists but some non mechanical/lazy/ spare time strapped mini bike/kart enthusiasts and hobbyists will take the easy route and run out to Harbor Freight or Pep Boys and pop $120 for a cheap clone motor and enjoy their ride. Certainly not as cool as your Briggs but riding nonetheless. Given the choice, most of us would opt for the traditional motors we grew up riding, but some folks just want to ride and don't look down at what's driving them.

70 years ago hot rodders and purists had the same arguments about flatheads vs overhead valve motors. No secret who won the debate. I respect the "flathead forever" argument from the traditional purists but some non mechanical/lazy/ spare time strapped mini bike/kart enthusiasts and hobbyists will take the easy route and run out to Harbor Freight or Pep Boys and pop $120 for a cheap clone motor and enjoy their ride. Certainly not as cool as your Briggs but riding nonetheless. Given the choice, most of us would opt for the traditional motors we grew up riding, but some folks just want to ride and don't look down at what's driving them.
All good points. You failed to factor in the country of origin. I not only suspect this, but I KNOW part availability and price will kill these flatheads just like it did for automobiles and tractors. Enjoy them while they last, Fellas!

Minimichael

Just sayin' a flathead would be an easier swap. If you do get a predator, do yourself a favor and just leave that governor in place. If all you want to do is ride, you'll rest easier without all the aftermarket and upgrade possibilities ruining your sleep :scooter:

I’ve decided no Predator on my Powell.

I realize this B&S on my chipper is not a flat head. Is it considered a honda clone? Is it even made in US?
IMG_4016.jpeg