Recent content by Hymn

1. H

Mounting a Bike Sprocket on a Stepper Motor

Well, I got the 18 mm adapters, plus some track cogs and lock rings. Results were mixed. Overall successful, but it took some work and I'm not entirely happy with what I was sold. I figured I'd share here, in case anyone is interested or if they're planning similar projects. I bought four...
  2. H

Yeah, it's the time-consuming option but we do have our own lathe and the sprockets to grind down. This route has the advantage of requiring parts and equipment we already have. We do have the sources to weld them on, but we'd probably try bolting it on first. Either by finding a...
  3. H

I have a stepper motor with a 18 mm shaft and a 6mm keyway cut into the shaft. I want to mount a sprocket on the motor shaft that can use a bicycle chain. The chain my bicycle sprocket will use is 1/2" pitch by 1/8" width. I believe this chain is also known as ANSI 43. My problem is that so...
  4. H

Need Help Finding Parts For My Motorized Cart

Great! I was pretty sure it would work that way, but it's good to have confirmation. Thank you! That should make it much easier to find a mountain bike wheel and drive sprocket combination. Although if anyone has any combinations that they've used before, I would be glad to hear them...
  5. H

So, a question for people still looking in on this topic (and thank you if you are). If I attached a sprocket to the spokes of a bike wheel, as shown in the pictures above or in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsu9tMOpgPg Would I be able to drive the bike wheel both forwards...
  6. H

Don't sweat it, I appreciate it all the same. I might try looking into the electric bicycles and see if there's something I can modify to accept a #35 sprocket, or a 40 or 50.
  7. H

Yeah, that's more or less what we're imagining. We just need to get it in #35. Taking a machinable plate sprocket and drilling holes ourselves could work; we'd just rather find something that already exists if we can. Still, I'll probably try that and see if it works out. Thanks, I...
  8. H

Hello everyone, I was referred to this site to ask questions on finding appropriate parts for my application. I'm building a motorized cart. It's going to be propelled by two motors, and the sprockets I currently have fitted to these motors are for #35 chains. I could easily switch to #40...