Recent content by nezwick

1. N

Which Briggs Quantum engine for my pressure washer?

Sounds good. I also remembered there is another one of these sitting in my parents' shed but it has 6.25 on the label. Their push mower is 6.25 also, while my push mower is 6.75. But all of these engines would really be the same? What is the point in having so many different labels/models...
  2. N

Except HP ≠ torque. They are different factors and measured under different conditions. Briggs & Stratton currently rates horsepower at 3060 RPM and torque at 2600. The engines are mechanically similar but the 1998 one was produced before they switched to the "600 series" naming convention...
  3. N

Here are some pics. Sorry for the lighting/angles - everything is in my basement for the winter. 1998 12H802 This is the original plastic decorative cover from the top - I had bought different plastics for the top to make it look more utilitarian. 2007 126T02 The 1998...
  4. N

Any vertical shaft experts on here? I'm building a pressure washer. I have two, good running, Briggs & Stratton Quantum vertical shaft pressure washer engines and I'd like to use the better of the two but I'm not sure which that is. Engine 1: Model 12H802-2349-E1 1998 model year 6.0...
  5. N

My first small engine rebuild / 1972 130202 5 HP

Long time, no post - been extremely busy and was out of state for a week or so. I ran into a setback with the carburetor. The bolt pattern is different between the '70s block and the '90s block. The black dot in this photo is where the bolt hole actually needs to be to fit the block. But...
  6. N

Yep I will give it a try. I did attach the original governor arm to the engine tonight, so we'll see how it all comes together. Also tonight I disassembled the carburetor, tossed it in the Chem Dip, scrubbed/polished some of the parts and linkages, and trued up the diaphragm cover. I'll pull...
  7. N

So I should just use the hole in the old governor arm? The spring was hung over a tab on the new governor arm. This is the style of arm I have from the old engine: This is the style of arm from the new (donor) engine. The spring slides over the tab closest to the linkage holes.
  8. N

Finished up the starter last night. All I had to do was grind off that C-shaped ridge and then everything fit into place perfectly. The next issue was that the cup was too close to the engine and the starter couldn't engage it. I fixed that by adding 2 washers between the flywheel and the...
  9. N

Alright so I took it upon myself to start building my custom new/old recoil starter. I started by disassembling both starters and determining that I need to remove the middle piece with the threaded post in the center from the new housing because that's what the new spool attaches to. In order...
  10. N

To get the governor to work I think what I need is some sort of small bushing to effectively increase the diameter of the end of the governor shaft that goes through the block. The '90s governor shaft is a larger diameter than the '70s one so the '90s arm won't clamp tight. Since I am using...
  11. N

Rebuilding an H50 carb - welch plug issue

One thing's for sure, this carb does NOT like the cold. When I first installed it, the temperature was in the 60s, and it behaved very well. Saturday morning it was about 35 degrees out and I had a real struggle to get it running and keep it running. The engine would idle extremely slow, like...
  12. N

Gas Tank

I found a gas tank to purchase.
  13. N

Made some significant progress last night! Took the '90s donor engine off the Tricub and tore it completely down. I was surprised at how great it looked internally. As we anticipated, the crankshaft and sump cover were in WAY better condition than the ones from the 1972. However, the cranks...
  14. N

Rebuilding an H50 carb - welch plug issue

Yeah, I really don't like buying cheap Chinese/imported goods for that reason... but this particular project does not warrant spending more money even if it would get me a higher quality, fair labor product. I do usually go out of my way to buy USA/EU made products.
  15. N

Gas Tank

Thanks Dr. Shop, I'll look for your message. Delray, that's a nice tank, in fact way too nice for this application. I'll keep it in mind for my next project.