What household stuff will clean cast aluminum?

I74

''The Works'' - toilet bowel cleaner.,, - ''for the first step''.
Stuff's frigg'n awesome, & is 9.5% Hydrogen chloride.
You want to pour some in a plastic pail ect. & dip your toilet brush ect. in it, & scrub it on lightly @ first,, wth letting it sit about ''2 min.''
Then rinse it all off ''real good'' with ''lot's'' of warm - hot water.
Make sure you are wearing rubber gloves & eye protection,, as it can potentially harm you though,, if getting on skin,, injesting, or in your eyes..
Stuffs not near as volitile like some other products though,, & won't hurt metals either,, as long as you don't soak parts in it for like hrs. ect. :rolleyes:

After that step,, then I like using a blend of ATF mixed with any ''Panther piss'' laying around,, & then elbow greese,, with different assortments of brushes,, & then a couple assortments of steel wool with Marvel Mystery oil.

All said & done,, my last steps are with a couple of nice coats of paste wax.

I

Last edited:
''The Works'' - toilet bowel cleaner.,, - ''for the first step''.
Stuff's frigg'n awesome, & is 9.5% Hydrogen chloride.
You want to pour some in a plastic pail ect. & dip your toilet brush ect. in it, & scrub it on lightly @ first,, wth letting it sit about ''2 min.''
Then rinse it all off ''real good'' with ''lot's'' of warm - hot water.
Make sure you are wearing rubber gloves & eye protection,, as it can potentially harm you though,, if getting on skin,, injesting, or in your eyes..
Stuffs not near as volitile like some other products though,, & won't hurt metals either,, as long as you don't soak parts in it for like hrs. ect. :rolleyes:

After that step,, then I like using a blend of ATF mixed with any ''Panther piss'' laying around,, & then elbow greese,, with different assortments of brushes,, & then a couple assortments of steel wool with Marvel Mystery oil.

All said & done,, my last steps are with a couple of nice coats of paste wax.

I
WOW! It would be easier and safer to just bead blast them!

I74

WOW! It would be easier and safer to just bead blast them!
Sure,, that takes time to though,, if you have one, or access to one.
I like @ least the last steps though regardless,, because of working in various shades / sheens of the finishes on my stuff,, like polishing the outer ring edges on rims ect. ect.

Love working with various types of Aluminum,, especially designing & making stuff out of it,, then finishing it ect.
Done right,, I think it actually looks better than some chrome,, or goes very nicely with it. ;)

I

Last edited:

I74

I use ketchup to remove tarnish from brass. Never tried it on aluminum.
Interesting,, never heard of that one before.
Wonder if that was discovered by accident originaly, when some one spilled it on Brass & then noticed the effects when wiped off ??

I have a 32 year old - ''rare'' - ''Miss Budweiser'' R/C Racing Hydroplane model boat kit that I' am finally finishing,, & the prop shaft output exposed end - ''stuffing tube'' is made out of Brass,, & is very tarnished,, & definitely needs spiffed up.

Think I will give that a try,, as that tube goes into a plastic & ''old'' epoxy stuffing box,, & don't want to harm that with like petrolium based products,, or like Mothers mag polish, brasso,, never dull,,, ect. ect.

Thanks for that ! :)

I

Last edited:
I collect old solid brass BIRDS. Ducks, seagulls, geese, swans, eagles, owls. I don't want to hold them against a buffing wheel.
Don't let the ketchup dry on your brass.
Submerge it for a couple hours then rinse it well.

Just what are you trying to accomplish? If just a "clean up" (they might look "okay") the suggestions so far would be worth trying. If you really want them to look NICE, have them bead blasted like sparkwizard suggested in post # 9. You have not said anything as to what the wheels will be going on- is it a "total beater", an average daily rider, or a show/restoration quality bike?
Michael