Gilson wheel repair

Triley41395

So I got a set of Gilson wheels from a member( VeritableFox) Thank you once again.
The previous owner had ground out the center or ran the bike with a bad bearing for a long time. Not exactly sure how it ended up this way.
I put the wheel on a prototrack(Bridgeport) and levels the mating surface. I then indicated the tire bead surface for center. Then I bored out the chewed up hole. Then I made a plug on a lathe that was the size of the bored hole with a counterbore to fit the original bearing. Loctite in the new bushing and runs pretty true. Hopefully it runs true on the bike. Screenshot_20240105_105557_Chrome.jpg 20240105_093038.jpg 20240105_093057.jpg 20240105_095556.jpg

Nice that the fix seems to work out. Great work on that. I'm glad they have found a home where they will be brought back to life and use.

As noted and discussed in messages, not sure what happened to the wheels myself. They were on the scatcat frame I'm working on and bought from a garage sale some 20+ years ago with the frame. Far as can be recalled, they were modified that way to try and get the rim to work on the frame and keep the sprocket/drum on the rear inside the frame. Terrible destruction on a good set of OG rims.

I happen to still have pics of what they were like before I sent them off. The rims were, frankly, too wide for the frame to work without a scrub brake or clutch brake. So it's good they will see a new life.

2023-09-24 Gilson Back.jpg
2023-09-24 Gilson Front.jpg

Triley41395

Nice that the fix seems to work out. Great work on that. I'm glad they have found a home where they will be brought back to life and use.

As noted and discussed in messages, not sure what happened to the wheels myself. They were on the scatcat frame I'm working on and bought from a garage sale some 20+ years ago with the frame. Far as can be recalled, they were modified that way to try and get the rim to work on the frame and keep the sprocket/drum on the rear inside the frame. Terrible destruction on a good set of OG rims.

I happen to still have pics of what they were like before I sent them off. The rims were, frankly, too wide for the frame to work without a scrub brake or clutch brake. So it's good they will see a new life.

View attachment 309780
View attachment 309781
I should have said previous owner to you tried to destroy them. They will definitely find a new home on my Gilson.

I should have said previous owner to you tried to destroy them. They will definitely find a new home on my Gilson.
I took it as that was what you meant. To be fair, it may have been 16 year old me doing something dumb. Either way, they got beat on pretty bad at some point and I've found words to be annoying lately. I prefer grunting and hooting these days to trying to use words. I am become monkey, master of percussive maintenance.