Vintage briggs age

I picked up an old briggs model 8 for a Scat-Bat frame I have, and I'm just wondering what the key to date this engine is.

Model #: 8
Type #: 107032
Serial #: 249701

Any other info is appreciated too, thanks! 1000004411.jpg 1000004412.jpg 1000004393.jpg

Minimichael

I understand the flywheel may have codes stamped inside. I love the 8B on my mini. It's got good power but nothing silly. One difference is that big 'ol snorkel carb wouldn't stop leaking so I put a round slide carb on it. That really dialed up the responsiveness too.

Any ideas yet on how you're going to get gas into the tank?

I understand the flywheel may have codes stamped inside. I love the 8B on my mini. It's got good power but nothing silly. One difference is that big 'ol snorkel carb wouldn't stop leaking so I put a round slide carb on it. That really dialed up the responsiveness too.

Any ideas yet on how you're going to get gas into the tank?
The flywheel has a number 8 stamped on it but nothing else that I can see.

Yeah I think my main issue right now is getting that old carb running right. Thought about running a little mikuni type carb but I haven't given up on the old one yet. In the pic the motor is just sitting loose and the gas fill actually clears when it's sitting correctly.

That engine is an anachronism (out of time) to the minibike. It is older than mass produced minibikes of the 1960s and up and ostensibly from the old cast iron era. How much does it weigh?

Edited to add: That Model 8 appears to be manufactured in MAY 1951
Manufacturing Dates for Early Briggs & Stratton Engines
Not really worried about the engine being 10 years older than the frame, I'm sure every other minibike still rolling has a mismatched engine. I just liked the engine and for $40 I figured it'd be worth getting running. It weighs 31# including fuel and oil it's still lighter than a predator 212.

Last edited: