Search results

1. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

Thanks a ton for all the info and offers to help with the fan! Last week I found a duplicate fan result for the part number on searspartsdirect, and the order seemed to have went through. I have a tracking number at least. I confirmed that their supplier is tecumseh, so I don't know if sears...
  2. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

Yeah I don't know if all these different internet shops are getting them from the same parts supplier, or what, but I keep getting cancellations and apologies. Original part number is 610933.
  3. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

I cleaned the points and re-gapped to 020 and wired the kill switch. I replaced the flywheel key, but did notice that the crankshaft itself has a few chips, somewhat corresponding to the old flywheel key chips. Is this a big deal? Crankshaft My orders for a flywheel fan have been cancelled...
  4. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

Thanks for the replies, that does help!! I popped off the points cover tonight and it looks pretty clean in there: Points I finally found my feeler gauges, so I'll be able to set the points now. However, I inspected the flywheel key, and it looks like a piece of it is broken off...
  5. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

Alright, I received the knocker, and the flywheel popped right off. Here's what I'm looking at: Imgur I think I see the tab that the kill switch connects to on that left bolt. Is that correct? Also, how do I clean the points and check the magnet/key?
  6. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

I just ordered the knocker tool, thanks! There was an orange wire coming from that area but it was loose, although I'm sure at one point that was connected to the kill switch tab. Do I need to take the engine off the frame before I whack the knocker tool to remove the flywheel, or can I do it...
  7. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

A little more progress.. tightened the baffle to the block so there is no play in it anymore. I also drilled out the old governor since it was riveted to the baffle. Now I just need to link everything up correctly. Question: Am I going to need to remove the flywheel to wire a kill switch, or...
  8. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

I'm still intimidated by the governor, and I don't really understand how it works yet. I'm going to give it another shot tonight!
  9. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

Thank you, so does part of the governor connect to this piece: Also, I bought a kill switch. Where do the wires go?
  10. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

Thanks for the tip, I tested the carb with a new fuel line and it seems to be working how it was designed. I received the parts for the governor, but I'm not sure where to start with it. Does anyone have a good diagram that shows how the governor is supposed to be hooked up on this engine?
  11. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

I made the float level with the bowl and adjusted the valve needle, and it seems good now. I'll reinstall it tomorrow. Should I be using silicone on these orings and gaskets?
  12. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

I made some adjustments and it seems like it's smoother, but I'm not sure what angle the float is supposed to be that or how to "level" it... I also took a pic of the leftover gasket from my rebuild kit that I'm not sure where it goes, and also a pick of the throttle because I'm not sure if...
  13. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

The recoil is working now, and I was able to tighten the rope successfully. Thanks again for your help! I pulled the carb off, and it does seem like the valve is sticking. I also noticed a tiny hole in the carb where gas was leaking out after I pulled it and was draining it. You can...
  14. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

The seat is the tiny "donut" gasket that goes in the hole right? And the needle is what is supposed to make a seal to it? If so, I put a new one in there and pushed it down as far as it would go. There is one gasket looking thing with a tiny tiny hole that I didn't use from the rebuild kit...
  15. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

You guys are the best! I had the spring outside the cup. Doh. So the pawl is the silver "lever" and it sits on top of the torsion spring?
  16. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

That's very generous of you, I may take you up on that! The center screw does have a coil spring on it but it may just be worn out, not sure, but it does not want to stay in place. If it's anywhere near tight, the rope will not retract. Does that have something to do with the torsion spring...
  17. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

Ahhh yes, thank you!! Also.. looks like I'm leaking gas from the carb, possibly from the intake. Was I supposed to "set" the float? Hmmm
  18. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

Major Issue: If the recoil screw is too tight, it doesn't recoil the rope. Now, when I pull on it while installed, the screw eventually tightens to where the rope will not recoil at all. Any ideas?
  19. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

I guess I didn't think this far ahead... do I need a kill switch? How would I turn off the engine?
  20. TwinCity

Help Starting HS40

Carb Rebuild Complete