Brand New DB: Break In and Adjustments

Hey guys! My boy just bought his own green DB last night. He is really excited. He paid $150 cash for a brand new one (don't ask). I changed the oil before even starting the thing up. He has about five miles on it and we are going to change it again. We are riding it at "break in" speed (10-15 mph). At any rate, it does seem to be having so me linkage issues that I am hoping to get some help with. My main issue is that there is a black "L" shaped plastic part on a pivot in on the top of the carburator. It does not seem to want to return to its origional position at times causing the motor to surge or idle a little quickly. Can someone tell me what this is and if there is a fix? On my own origional DB, it snaps back into place upon releasing the throttle. On my son's, it sticks at about half way or so so. :thumbdown:

There should be a spring and a small thin rod connecting that plastic piece to the governor arm. If you look at it from the exhaust side, you should see the gov arm sticking up. if theres nothing connecting the two, theres your issue. use a paperclip and bend it to the shape you need, and use it instead. :hack: