Briggs carburetor stuff

I decided to finally try to start the old Taco. I removed the carb and tank to get rid of whatever the gas became after 30 or so years. The choke is stuck in the body so into the HF ultrasonic with striaight simple green to start. I forgot that the carb was still in the stuff and the carb discolored and the choke is still stuck. I have taken it apart as far as I can and have been spraying carb cleaner, wd 40, liquid wrench, seafoam penetrating etc. and the choke refuses to budge. Any ideas?

The carb is from a 3HP briggs made in 1968. I suppose I'm going to need to find a rebuild kit or get a NOS carb. Will a carb from a 5 hp briggs work?

There is a ton of crap in the tank as well. Old stuff is fun!!

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I really don't play around with stock flathead briggs carbs. But if your motor is a 3, or 3.5hp motor the stock 5hp briggs carb won't just bolt up. The 5hp briggs has longer factory pick up tubes that was need for the larger tank. If you can remove them and install your 3hp tubes on the bottom it will work.

update

Got the choke to move freely. :clap:
(vice, deadblow hammer, and some vice grips.)

now to soak the pick up tube for bit to see if I can get that solid mass out and I hope to be golden.:thumbsup:

Then to find a rebuild kit and a couple of gaskets.
Wonder what color to paint the carb body.

Mini the tank is one of the 3 quart ones and the pickup tube is about 6 inches long.

could you put some pictures of you engine/carb/gas tank on the board? i think i have the make engine and im having some problem with the linkage. hooking linkage up the the old briggs can be a pain.

I didn't take pictures while it was all in one piece. (that'll bite me later.) The way it was set up the cable made a 180 degree turn to the carb. The cable was held in place by a screw and washer in a lil groove. The cable end had a barrel screw for adjustment and connected to the smaller "Idler" arm that moved the governor which actually moved the throttle arm where the idle adjuster screw is. It's a bit Rube Goldburg to me. I'll try to semi assemble and get pics and post them up as it will be a while before it going back together.

You can get old exploded parts diagrams from Briggs.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=65324

Last edited: