Briggs Flathead Cam recommendations

Hey, I'm considering a slight build to a Stock 5 hp, port and polish, shaved eyebrows, cam, 22mm round slide, and a Raptor 3 rod. I'm aiming for around 6000 rpm, as that is under the max for the raptor rod. Does anybody have any cam recommendations on a budget? I also saw someone welding a stock cam but that seems sketchy, especially since I'm not the greatest at welding. Or any input on the Raptor Rod? I also saw someone say that they were making 8 hp with this build. Thanks

Thepaetsguy

I welded the stock cams don’t do it. Next there’s a Facebook group for Briggs equipment then another separate group for racing. Join the racing group. Sure there‘s a member or many that are PayPal ready to sell parts mild to wild. 93ss is as big a cam as your gonna go without welding the lifter area to not rally that whole area of the case off the block. They say the exhaust port is to big. And no raptor rod just get an arc 6330/6350 billet.. Grab a torque wrench and read building a flathead by jimmy Glenn. You know what just keep it simple.. 8D8CBD69-6A1B-4028-B5A0-29EDAC70A807.png 25A58A80-969E-42F7-B4C4-50CB9F889375.jpeg

Any recommendations for what I should do? I have the 22 mm carb on and I like it, but nothing else yet besides the governor disengaged because of the new carb.

Thepaetsguy

Any recommendations for what I should do? I have the 22 mm carb on and I like it, but nothing else yet besides the governor disengaged because of the new carb.
build a predator parts availability and cost for a predator is awesome. I think a whole 10k rpm kit Is $189?? after buying the flathead briggs and a $178 billet flywheel $70 rod and a Facebook cam for anywhere from 20$-40$ that predator is probably cheaper in the long run..

Yea, probably. I’ve never fully built one, just carb and exhaust. They are definitely easier to find parts for, but not nearly as fun to build.

Yea I will keep the flathead. Power isn't what I'm going for, but I wouldn't mind a little bit more, because the throttle is super touchy and bogs is you accelerate too fast. If the back tire is lifted off the ground, it pulls fine, but when riding, it has to be in the right rpm range and you can't accelerate too fast.

You could mess around with different sprockets, add a torque converter or junk the motorcycle carb and find a nice Pulsa jet.
I personally would do all of the above.;)
I managed to get it to run good with a smaller carb that is significantly nicer than the first one. Gearing should be fine and no more bogging.

Outside of a rare post offering an old cam or 2, typically of unknown grind, from facebook groups or forums it's really hard to find them if you don't just pony up the cash for a Dynocams tool steel billet cam or send in a good stock cam or going through a place that still gets the stock cams ground like Carlson motorsports.