briggs

where can i get a 70's style 5 hp + briggs and stratton either new or restored for a 70's dunecycle i am restoring back to original.
i am a newbie to all this mini bike stuff so please bear with me
thank you

jeep4me

I'm not sure you can buy a "new" 70's style briggs but the originals are everywhere. If you're restoring the bike yourself then you shouldn't have a hard time restoring the engine. I find alot of engines on craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums . Look under your areas listings or post a wanted ad for the engine. If you don't know how to tell the year the engine was manufactured, find the "code" # on the motor and the first two digits are the year, 2nd two are the month and third two are the day.

I'm not sure you can buy a "new" 70's style briggs but the originals are everywhere. If you're restoring the bike yourself then you shouldn't have a hard time restoring the engine. I find alot of engines on craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums . Look under your areas listings or post a wanted ad for the engine. If you don't know how to tell the year the engine was manufactured, find the "code" # on the motor and the first two digits are the year, 2nd two are the month and third two are the day.
thank you ,i just posted an ad in my city . will craigs list do a search on a whole state or region or do you have to go by city

Jeep4me is right, you shouldn't have any trouble finding one on craigslist.

If by "70's Style" you mean the typical Briggs 5 horse with the pulsa-jet carb on top of the tank, then you could use one from the 60's, 70's, 80's or early 90's. They all look the same and ARE the same in many respects.

The Briggs 5 horse is the Small Block Chevy of small engines. They're everywhere and parts are cheap!

Good luck!

Jeep4me is right, you shouldn't have any trouble finding one on craigslist.

If by "70's Style" you mean the typical Briggs 5 horse with the pulsa-jet carb on top of the tank, then you could use one from the 60's, 70's, 80's or early 90's. They all look the same and ARE the same in many respects.

The Briggs 5 horse is the Small Block Chevy of small engines. They're everywhere and parts are cheap!

Good luck!
thanks ,
if you hear of any let me know if it is in real good shape . i do not mind having it shipped or if you know of a shop who will sell me one restored

I have to agree with that!

Last edited:
I'll take a look around, but depending on where you are, the shipping can cost more than the engine!

If your willing to spend the $ you can still get brand new ones. smallenginewarehouse.com just had some 5hp I/C engines. The I/C has the correct carb/tank type that you're looking for. Unfortunatly they sold out about two weeks ago. Don't confuse this engine with the Briggs 5hp Industrial Plus, while still a flat head, it has a float type carb and a newer ,(much better) recoil design.

Keep an eye on thier web site as they get new stuff in all the time.

When serching on craigslist, you may be better off buying a whole machine just to get the engine.

Where I live, snowblowers are the best source for engines. They live an easy life, good cold, clean, air, and probably less than 20hr/year. Folks get fed up with them cause they sit for 8 months and then won't start. Every one I've torn down, was like new inside. The only problem here is that 90% are Tecumseh powered, (no help for you).

Tillers like snowblowers can be had dirt cheap for the same reasons, they sit around and then won't start when needed. While they are usually low hr machines, they tend to show MUCH more ware than snowblower engines. This is due to the hot, dusty, harsh conditions that they operate in.
You'll find lots of these with a Briggs 5 horse on them.

Third thing to look for is a leaf blower, same as the other two; low hours, and a pissed-off owner cause it won't start after sitting for 3/4ths of a year. same ware characteristics as the snowblower. Lots of them are Briggs 5hp or 8hp powered.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck