Bushing experiment

markus

Tecumseh does not specify that this can be done but they don’t say it can’t either. Been looking for the tooling and any info I could find for awhile, didn’t find much of either. They sold a bushing so you can fix a sloppy journal bore on the block/mag side (one for the sidecovers as well) for a lot of their engines built in the 60's-70 except for the HS series. In middle 1980's the updated the small frame H (3 and 3.5hp) to the larger journal size on the block and the sidcover on the H35 and droped the repair bushing.

I was successful in installing the repair bushing In a late model I tore down last night and reaming it to size with some tooling I collected and a few pieces I made to do the job. I installed an early shaft and sidecover an checked the fit and endplay and all that is a go and acceptable per specs. So now I will work on all the other things the donor block needs to get it into shape (cylinder work, valve seat and face recuts, drill and tap the bosses under the flywheel so I can install point magneto, etc.. so I can do some testing. Hopefully this works, With the lack of decent rear exhaust small frame blocks to work with out there this may help a little….plus I have a few of these blocks NOS IMG_4219.jpeg IMG_4220.jpeg

now to clean this disaster area up!! IMG_4221.jpeg

Last edited:

Augiedoggie

Well done. Not sure if Tecumseh used repair bushing but other brands used this repair method with good success. Your repair can expect service life as new part. I always dress and smooth oil feed and enlarge feed channel to ensure good lubrication. Never had any trouble with the one piece bearing. I wouldn't use the split bushing replacements. Always feared they didn't have enough crush on OD and would spin in bore. You can find thin shell bearings in different sizes through industrial bearing supplier.