Clinton A400 Rebuild

I am rebuilding a rope pull Clinton Panther A400 2 1/2 hp engine for use on grandkids kart.
Need clarification: I have seen footnotes on Clinton parts lists that say their A400 kart engines were built without governors.
Is it ok then to leave off the fan govenor? Also, is it ok to replace the iron flywheel with the aluminum flywheel? If I change out
the flywheel to aluminum, so as to rev quicker, then must I also upgrade connecting rod to the heavy duty conn rod. Lastly, with the engine sans govenor parts
do you replace carburator (Tillotson) with a direct linkage?
PS need kart exhaust. What other than the E65 megahone exhaust fits the Clinton?

Look for the muffler off of a Clinton vertical shaft engine on a lawn mower.
There was an upgraded rod used in Panther 500 engines, but they are very rare, now.
I have one with a Tillotson carb on it. The original carb ran better, idled better and was easier to keep in tune.
My original carb will be back on there soon, with the air vane governor.
Do a search here for Clinton Panther. There are some very informative topics about them.

The muffler SPARKWIZARD mentioned is a good cheap option.
I usually either drill holes in the end or completely cut the end off for maximum flow.
The E65 factory megaphone does not fit on an A400.
There is a knock-off that fits both engines, but very hard to find.
Yes, the factory sold a gokart A400 version with no governor and a light weight aluminum flywheel.
The better rod is the one released around 1961 when they revised and renamed A4XX to the 500 model
The rod is 245-110-500
Mounting a Tillotson carb will require drilling a pulse hole in the standard manifold.
Or, if you want to spurge, use a Go Power manifold and reed assembly with the Tillotson.
I have those rods and I probably have an aluminum flywheel.
Glad to hear from a Clinton fan!

The muffler SPARKWIZARD mentioned is a good cheap option.
I usually either drill holes in the end or completely cut the end off for maximum flow.
The E65 factory megaphone does not fit on an A400.
There is a knock-off that fits both engines, but very hard to find.
Yes, the factory sold a gokart A400 version with no governor and a light weight aluminum flywheel.
The better rod is the one released around 1961 when they revised and renamed A4XX to the 500 model
The rod is 245-110-500
Mounting a Tillotson carb will require drilling a pulse hole in the standard manifold.
Or, if you want to spurge, use a Go Power manifold and reed assembly with the Tillotson.
I have those rods and I probably have an aluminum flywheel.
Glad to hear from a Clinton fan!
I am interested in one of those rods, Sir.
Maybe two...

Thank you Scrambler1. Yes would like to get the aluminum flywheel and the heavy duty rod if needed when using the light weight flywheel.
Also, good the have my guess confirmed about no governor on the kart engines. I have rebuilt the LMB 70 carb but is there a better carb to fit on the Clinton A400 that is an easy linkage setup, runs well etc. I have seen a vintage Palmini cataloge that lists a exhaust, but unless I get lucky Sparwizards suggestion most likely best solution.

Let me know if you have flywheel and if I need to use the HD rod with it and how to arrange payment.

Thank you Scrambler1. Yes would like to get the aluminum flywheel and the heavy duty rod if needed when using the light weight flywheel.
Also, good the have my guess confirmed about no governor on the kart engines. I have rebuilt the LMB 70 carb but is there a better carb to fit on the Clinton A400 that is an easy linkage setup, runs well etc. I have seen a vintage Palmini cataloge that lists a exhaust, but unless I get lucky Sparwizards suggestion most likely best solution.

Let me know if you have flywheel and if I need to use the HD rod with it and how to arrange payment.
Look at your other post. Another member has some of those megaphones for sale.
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...-kart-exhaust-for-clinton-panter-a400.180831/

A picture of the LMB70 would help.
Throttle linkage for those Clintons is tricky once you remove the governor.
It doesn't get any easier with a Tillotson, as the fan housing will get in the way of the mixture needles or the linkage.
A Go Power manifold helps, but they are pricey.
I have Clinton Go Kart linkage kits that solve the problem, but that is why I need to see a pic of the LMB70 - to see if it would work.
Here is a pic of the kit installed on a typical LMB carb.
Go-Kart throttle control.jpg