Coleman Ct200u-Ex Throttle Stuck wide open

I’m having a problem with my Ct200u-ex I’ve had it for 2 years now and for some reason the throttle is stuck wide open on the carburetor I haven’t messed with any of the springs or anything. I’m not that knowledgeable when it comes to smaller engines like this but I do have a stage 1 performance kit on it from Go Power Sports I don’t know if they could cause any sort of issues or anything it idles fine when coke is off almost like it should when it’s running normally but as soon as I crack the coke open the smallest bit it starts to runaway and I can move the throttle on the handle bars and it’ll move stuff on the engine but doesn’t do anything do the actual bike while it’s running and if returns to it’s original position when I let off of it but bike is still trying to run away. Does anyone know what’s going on or how to fix this I got new springs and put them on but it didn’t do anything. I’m thinking of of putting a new carburetor will this fix it?

Thepaetsguy

did you remove the internal governor? I used a briggs and Stratton governor arm on a 212cc.. If you remove the internal governor I know there would be no weights to kick it to idle on startup and when it does start it would run away at wide open throttle. the only way you would bring it to an idle then is to use your finger and push the carb butterfly to idle. while forcing the butterfly to stay at idle have someone else pullstart it. if it does not race while holding the butterfly to idle your springs are off. 1A6AC0BA-2D75-41CA-A589-71F27587E5DF.jpeg

Thepaetsguy

Pull the air filter did the butterfly fall off allowing it to run wide open throttle? along time ago we pulled the butterfly out of a 5hp and let it go wild. Took along time for it to seize.

Has it been ridden this year, or sitting somewhere with gas in the carburetor?
Can you reach the top of the carb and wiggle the throttle itself?
I am wondering if the throttle is just gummed up.

It still has the internal governor and the butterfly and everything is still in place it worked perfectly fine last summer with the performance kit. I can operate the throttle by hand on the carb but it’s only on the carb it’ll stick if it do it by the arms on top of engine or the by the actual throttle

Is there a good return spring on the big arm where your cable hooks to the engine? There is a 10mm nut on that "handle" that the cable hooks to. That nut should be backed off enough so the "handle" is free to move with the cable and the spring should pull that handle back to idle.
Is that working properly?

Has it been ridden this year, or sitting somewhere with gas in the carburetor?
Can you reach the top of the carb and wiggle the throttle itself?
I am wondering if the throttle is just gummed up.
It was the first time being ridden this summer but it had run and driven during the winter

Is there a good return spring on the big arm where your cable hooks to the engine? There is a 10mm nut on that "handle" that the cable hooks to. That nut should be backed off enough so the "handle" is free to move with the cable and the spring should pull that handle back to idle.
Is that working properly?
There is no idle screw on it, it has a set idle on the carb that can’t be changed it’s like a little peg

You are missing my question. look where the throttle cable connects to the engine. With engine not running, twist the throttle. Does the big silver lever move? Does it move back where it was when you release the throttle?

You are missing my question. look where the throttle cable connects to the engine. With engine not running, twist the throttle. Does the big silver lever move? Does it move back where it was when you release the throttle?
Sorry I missed read that. Yes the lever moved and the throttle partially returns to its original position towards the end it has to be manually put back.

Put a spring on that lever and see if that helps.
see the little tiny spring next to that nut on that lever? That is the return spring and that nut should be loose enough to allow the lever to return.

Use a phillips screwdriver and remove the cable. You should be able to run the throttle with that lever.
That picture was not mine. I found it here on this site.

SAS289

The throttle return spring is too long. It's not going to get the throttle assembly any closer to idle than it already is.

Someone removed the stock Coleman push spring. They removed it to make the throttle easier, or because that spring is too long and can bind and not allow full throttle travel.

The spring that goes to the governor is in the wrong hole. There is a row of 4 holes for that spring. If your bike still has the jackshaft use the hole just to the left of where the spring is now.

Just loosen the screw to get the throttle cable loose without pulling it out. You will see that you can now move the throttle to the idle position. But once you move the throttle toward open you will see that the spring can't bring it back to the idle position all the way. And do all that with the engine off.

Look at how short the spring in the picture is compared to yours.

20170703_182437.jpg