Complete noob needs some help

hi guys! i am completely new to mini bikes. i was given an old frame with a motor bolted on and i was told it runs but like crap. the id stamped on the top is h35-45550m serial 0248b.
i have a few questions.
1. what year is this motor (is it a good motor also)
2. what rpm range does it operate (so i can pick the correct clutch) i was told the governor has been removed.
3. how can i adjust this motors carb? it has 3 adjustment screws one i know is the throttle idle screw but it is completely unscrewed so what do i adjust it too, the other two are 1 on the bottom thru the bowl and the other on the side, how do i adjust these.
i know i am asking alot but i am completely new to this

I found a tecumseh owners manual online so i have taken apart and cleaned the carb, and i also got a rebuild kit for the carb at a store so it runs pretty good now. but my other questions still need answering, what year is the motor, is the motor a good motor in your opinion, and what rpm range does is safely operate with no governor. ohh and what size chain should i use. i have a bunch of old but still packaged in oil #35 chain, is this a good size?

Yes most the smaller bikes used 35 chain.. The Tecumseh H35's are pretty good little engines and may very well be the correct antique motor that belongs on the bike.. The engine would have been governed to 3,600 rpm's and most any clutch you buy is going to be setup for that type of engine and rpm range.. Pics would help, the carburetor we can probably walk ya through that.. I don't know if I would run the motor ungoverned or at least much beyond it's 3,600 rpm red line..

yah i wasnt planning on going any higher of an rpm just cuz it doesnt have a governor. while i was at the outdoor motors store i picked up a gasket kit and cracked her open. i wanted to see if there really wasnt a governor as they had left the arm on it. it was pretty metal shaving free inside and the weights for the governor had been removed. when i find my camera ill take a couple pics and post them. i got the carb fixed up pretty good. it seems to run really lean compared to th tecumseh manual which said 1 turn for the idle screw preset and 1 1/2 for the main im running at 1/2 for the idle and 3/4 for the main. any more gas she bogs down any less she gets erratic. its missing the air cleaner where can i pick one of them up. or is it not essential?

C9H13NO3

The air cleaner is pretty essential. Just do what I have done and what I have seen many people on this forum do which is:
1. get a plastic food storage container
2. carve/ drill out the correct slots for the intake
3. stuff a clean rag or sponge that fills the entire container
4. Poke holes in the lid
5. Secure the lid to the container

* This should only be used as a temporary solution as I have found that dirt and sand can still navigate its way into the chamber.

i got the carb fixed up pretty good. it seems to run really lean compared to th tecumseh manual which said 1 turn for the idle screw preset and 1 1/2 for the main im running at 1/2 for the idle and 3/4 for the main. any more gas she bogs down any less she gets erratic. its missing the air cleaner where can i pick one of them up. or is it not essential?
If you have an adjustable carb you should be able to make it run perfect.. :thumbsup: Just because the book says.. don't make it right.. thats just where you start....

thanks i got the engine running great now, just had to do some more fine tuning! HEY some of you guys are from michigan where would you pick up an air cleaner for a tecumseh around here??

thanks i got the engine running great now, just had to do some more fine tuning! HEY some of you guys are from michigan where would you pick up an air cleaner for a tecumseh around here??
I have a few hundred of them.... A junkyard will sell ya one for a few bucks.. If you don't have one at all, those plastic ones from lawn mower engines work pretty good but you have to carve out the hole a little bigger where the choke butterfly is, because it will hit on some of them...

any specific places that i could check? ohh and im not crazy about buying things that need to be shipped im a guy that needs it in my hands when i buy it im just weird like that :) thanks for the offer though

Hmmmmmm not right off the top off my head.. I'm not from detroit either.. Most of us would mail ya one for 5 or 10 bucks for the simple style one.. Evilbay has a lot of that stuff bt again... Shipping.. :lol: I don't know... Local lawn mower shop guy or the guy with 40 mowers in his yard that tinkers on that kind of stuff maybe.. :shrug:

well it would be cheaper and easier to just get it through you guys. how much would it cost me to ship it and how would i pay you? ohh and heres a picture of the carb

well it would be cheaper and easier to just get it through you guys. how much would it cost me to ship it and how would i pay you? ohh and heres a picture of the carb
JEEEeez Louise..... She's a fully adjustable... What will ya charge me to mail me your carb? :deal: Ohhhh I think I have a few used filter elements out there that will work.. I usually put them on Evilbay for 10 bucks with all the screws it takes to make them "correct" because people like that.. Then they get bid up to 14 or 16, plus shipping... ONE WENT for like 37 dollars once and I friggin about :001_9898: myself... I even sent the backup bidder one for that price DAMN... Ya never know.. :lol: But this isn't Evilbay with it's Evilways :devil2:
You're on Oldminibikes cool website looking for one in particular... So I'd send you one that YOU can paint all pretty your self for $8.90 :wink:

If you don't have or use paypal.. (Paypal is a bitch) You can get a postal money order from the post office works best.. If you go to the post office, and get a money order for $8.90, the money order itself costs $1.10 ... So that's ten bucks even.. Then just mail me that and I'll mail you a air cleaner with the fine thread weirdo screws ya need and a gasket and steel air cleaner that belongs on the motor and probably a used but works air FILTER too... You might have to get a NEW paper filter element (4 or 5 bucks anywhere that sells em) and paint it nice... But I doubt you'll find one cheaper than that... 10 bucks ready to go sitting in your mailbox.. :shrug: