fired

gbones

my car has been broken down since monday afternoon. so i took a few days off to fix it, fuel pump, fuel filter, dist cap, plugs, wires. i figured it would be cheaper for me to do it rather than put it in a shop and be charged out the wazoo for something i can do. i called my work every morning to tell them that the car is still down. i finish the car yesterday after noon, in the pourin rain, laying in a huge puddle, gas all over me. go in to work this morning, and the owner lets me go. :censure: so we are arguing back and forth, i told him the car situation, and he told me i should of put it in the shop and got my ass to work. it must be nice to drive around in a mini cooper and if theres a prob he drops it off to his mech and gets a rental. on my pay, thats not possible and i guess he doesnt see that. the other workers couldnt beleave that he let me go. they understood that car probs happen. its not like i didnt call every day. and its not like me being out stopped the boat from being built. i missed a few days on interior sanding. im just pissed, scared, nervous, and dont know what to do. maybe its time to get out of the boat industry, maybe ill look for a job back in the kitchen. and on top off it, my damn GF stole my lighter and she wont be back till 3pm.:doah::censure::doah::censure::sadcrying4:

Been there a time or two

my car has been broken down since monday afternoon. so i took a few days off to fix it, fuel pump, fuel filter, dist cap, plugs, wires. i figured it would be cheaper for me to do it rather than put it in a shop and be charged out the wazoo for something i can do. i called my work every morning to tell them that the car is still down. i finish the car yesterday after noon, in the pourin rain, laying in a huge puddle, gas all over me. go in to work this morning, and the owner lets me go. :censure: so we are arguing back and forth, i told him the car situation, and he told me i should of put it in the shop and got my ass to work. it must be nice to drive around in a mini cooper and if theres a prob he drops it off to his mech and gets a rental. on my pay, thats not possible and i guess he doesnt see that. the other workers couldnt beleave that he let me go. they understood that car probs happen. its not like i didnt call every day. and its not like me being out stopped the boat from being built. i missed a few days on interior sanding. im just pissed, scared, nervous, and dont know what to do. maybe its time to get out of the boat industry, maybe ill look for a job back in the kitchen. and on top off it, my damn GF stole my lighter and she wont be back till 3pm.:doah::censure::doah::censure::sadcrying4:

Gbones : Sorry to hear about your job loss but timing could be much worse spring is on the march so make sure you let everyone
( Uneployment division ) know that you did call in about your car problem and if your boss did not object then you should not be punished if you file a claim against him .
I always had a great line to give back ( Look sucker it's a big wide road out there and you ain't the only path off that road ) you were probable a easy target and he wanted to cut back in crew and you were his easy way out .
Hope the GF louses the lighter your too broke to afford smokes LOL :smile:
Good luck in your job search. Steve :scooter:

if you dint have bad luck,you might not have no luck at all,,i feel for you but maby
he did you a favor,good luck man.:thumbsup:

Not to be mean or anything, but the responsible thing would have been to find a way to work and work on your car after work in the evenings.

If one of my guys left me hanging all week to stay home and work on his car then he would probably be out of a job too.

I don't know what you do for a living, but it's tough to make it in business and unreliable employees will sink you fast. unfortunately you have to make tough decisions from time to time even if it means letting people go before they sink you.

Not to be mean or anything, but the responsible thing would have been to find a way to work and work on your car after work in the evenings.

If one of my guys left me hanging all week to stay home and work on his car then he would probably be out of a job too.

I don't know what you do for a living, but it's tough to make it in business and unreliable employees will sink you fast. unfortunately you have to make tough decisions from time to time even if it means letting people go before they sink you.
i have to agree.

it sucks that your car broke, but it is possible to find other ways to work.

"my car is broken" wouldn't last for more than a day or two at my work. i'd be riding my bike or taking the bus if i had to (or just take the shop truck :thefinger: ). don't you know anyone that has a vehicle that you could borrow? if you know your car will be down for several days why not rent a car? if you know it would be a few days, why not try to use PTO for that time? i understand many jobs want several weeks notice for that though.

it all comes down to the fact that you were supposed to be at work and you didn't go. it's not your employers problem that your car broke down.

I've got to mention again that I really didn't mean to be mean.

But losing a guy at my shop for 3 days would create a financial hardship, and cause me to have to work 14 hours instead of the normal 10 - 12 hours, also cause the other guys to stay late, and me have to pay them overtime.

Not to mention the fact that you really don't want to do anything risky in this economy. Surely it's slow where you work, and I gaurantee that the first guy I'd let go if I had to let someone go is the unreliable one.

I lost a couple good jobs when I was young before I realized what's really the way to approach a job. Good luck on your next one, and I hope it's a "keeper".

yes i have a GM, well its really my GFs. its a 93 caprice classic wagon. i deff see his point, but i didnt think he would fire me, i was expecting a talking to and a warning. the last day i took off, i was on my way to work and the car kept dying out. my GF was driving and shes like " oh my god i have no brakes, i cant stop" she pretty much was standing on the brake pedal to stop. i wasnt gonna be like, just get me to work and hopefully you get home ok, with her 3yr old in the back seat. after sleeping on it last nite im kind of glad im out of there, he was cool at first but then his true colors came out after awhile. a few guys refered to him as hitler, and you pretty much have to dedicate your life to his shop. and i think he was looking to get rid of somebody, theres about 2 months of work left on the boat and nothing lined up after so lay offs were talked about daily with the other coworkers. well the suns out, a lil cold but im getting the mini out and im gonna go ride.:scooter:

i forgot to mention this. a few months ago a coworker got arrested for stealing his GFs car and crossing state lines blah blah blah. he was in jail for a month, but that was ok. i guess them being related made it ok. so get rid of the guy who lives with his GF and her 3 kids who missed 3 days and is more experienced "been working on boats for a long time", or the guy thats 1 year younger than me and still lives with mom and dad who missed a month of work and still takes off days to go to court, and his first job working on boats, and screws up daily. gotta love family.