Flathead identification

Hey guys , anybody can help me on identifying flathead engines ?
what is the difference between

1200000 150000 series
97700 99700 series
200000 210000 series
210000 280000 310000 330000 series ?
and how do i find out which one i ve got ?

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Sam

Attachments

What are you trying to figure out? If you can narrow your question, it will be easier to help you.
For example, what are you working on? Are you trying to figure out which series your engine is?

Is there a long number stamped into the cooling shroud, near the cylinder head?

Yes exactly ,
I have some flathead 13 cui 205 cc engines which i am rebuilding .
i bought the cases alone , so i don t habe a P/N . Now i wanna know how to adjust the crank endplay .
where to add a shim , which side .
i have one engine which has both sides a roller bearing , the other ones have a „bushing style“ bearing on the mag side

Attachments

Yes exactly ,
I have some flathead 13 cui 205 cc engines which i am rebuilding .
i bought the cases alone , so i don t habe a P/N . Now i wanna know how to adjust the crank endplay .
where to add a shim , which side .
i have one engine which has both sides a roller bearing , the other ones have a „bushing style“ bearing on the mag side
If you are working on Briggs flatheads this is a "MUST HAVE" in your reference library. It has a section dedicated to adjusting crank endplay. This is just one listing - there are many more...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225930420926
Michael

Thanks a lot , i found a free copy online , i therefore also have the actual endplay to be adjusted to etc .
my main concern is , i have no idea what kind of engine series i ve got .

Thanks a lot , i found a free copy online , i therefore also have the actual endplay to be adjusted to etc .
my main concern is , i have no idea what kind of engine series i ve got .
Take another look at your manual, specifically the "Crankshafts and Cam Gears" chapter, then refer to the section entitled "Crankshaft Cover and Crankshaft Endplay" If these are all aluminum engines ("Koolbore") the endplay is the same for all plain bearing and ball bearing - .002" to .008". The METHOD (location) of placing the shim washer varies between the types of bearing , but the manual explains how to do that.
Michael

Last edited:
They are I/C models , non Koolbore.
The manual explains very well how and where the shim has to come , but alway refers to the engine series , and that s exactly my problem.
the engines are going to be build up like a raptor 3 .
when i disassembled the original racing engines, the shim was located between the crankgear and the bearing , so i guess that would be the right way for a raptor 3 or I/C engine. Unfortunately i don t find anywhere to which series the raptor 4 , or double bearing engine belongs too . So i don t have a clue on where to put the shim on this type of engine.
furthermore I cannot find any info on how to measure the endplay .
on my beetle engine i measure it without conrod piston installed .
is this the same for a briggs ?
or does the piston must be connected to the crank for measuring ?

They are I/C models , non Koolbore.
The manual explains very well how and where the shim has to come , but alway refers to the engine series , and that s exactly my problem.
the engines are going to be build up like a raptor 3 .
when i disassembled the original racing engines, the shim was located between the crankgear and the bearing , so i guess that would be the right way for a raptor 3 or I/C engine. Unfortunately i don t find anywhere to which series the raptor 4 , or double bearing engine belongs too . So i don t have a clue on where to put the shim on this type of engine.
furthermore I cannot find any info on how to measure the endplay .
on my beetle engine i measure it without conrod piston installed .
is this the same for a briggs ?
or does the piston must be connected to the crank for measuring ?
I (and that manual) cannot help you with this on a racing engine like a Raptor .The manual DOES state, however that you cannot use the end play shim washers on engines with dual ball bearings. I would advise that you post your question over at Bob's 4 cycle (see link below) as those dudes are mostly kart racers that all used the Briggs Raptor engines back in the day.
https://4cycle.com/
Michael

Yes , i headed over , we did not get any further on those numbers .
The 2 engines which came from the jr dragster are Raptors .
one Koolbore (easy to spot ) ;)
And 2 I/C engines .
i am currently in progress of getting the parts together and rebuilding 2 engines .
i ordered another one at Ebay.
so more to come ;)