help a newcommer out

i have a old tecumseh ill post pics sometime and it dosent start where should I start I am totally new to the mini bike thing and need some help

You should always make sure there is plenty of oil in the motor before ya do anything.. But I would pull the spark plug out and plug the wire back into it and set it on top of the motor and check and see if it has spark. You want to make sure the bottom nut part of the spark plug is touching a metal on the motor and that the spark plug wire end isn't.. But give it a few good pulls and make sure it is shooting a spark. If it has no spark that is your first problem.

You should always make sure there is plenty of oil in the motor before ya do anything.. But I would pull the spark plug out and plug the wire back into it and set it on top of the motor and check and see if it has spark. You want to make sure the bottom nut part of the spark plug is touching a metal on the motor and that the spark plug wire end isn't.. But give it a few good pulls and make sure it is shooting a spark. If it has no spark that is your first problem.
Thats not how I was taught how to check for spark!! :eek:

lol... you can unplug the wire and try to hold it just about the right distance from the plug and try and shoot a arc from the wire to plug but thats pretty complicated, you can grab the wire and give it yank.. that hurts like a bitch.. a spark plug is the easiest quickest way to not electrocute yourself tough... :lol:

What tecumseh do you have? Post a pic. Since you have spark, we'll help on the next steps including having the correct plug and fuel delivery.

Hey I can't find my camera so I took a video of it with my droid and uploaded to youtube under my username foxriderrainer and tell me how the the quality was

Hey I can't find my camera so I took a video of it with my droid and uploaded to youtube under my username foxriderrainer and tell me how the the quality was
:lol: yeah thats why ya shouldn't hang onto them... Lesson learned though.. :wink: Yeah, the video YouTube - Mini bike tecumseh h30 came out pretty good. Your carb is a diaphragm carb and those CAN be temperamental. The fuel adjustment jets are on the left hand side. marked L and H for low and high.. I find it MUCH easier to work on a carb with the air cleaner off. #1 it MAY be so plugged it CAN'T run.. But #2 you can put your hand over the end and REALLY give it a good choking.. Have you taken the carb completely off to clean it?

ALSO that carb is not for that motor.. That was originally one a Vertical motor and may not b the right size carb.

Last edited:
If it ran around the yard you probably have it not adjusted correctly is a major reason.. The pin in the bottom acts as a float does in a float carb. If that diaphragm is messed up it can cause them to not get fuel.. It may have been getting way too much and died also.. Yes, sounds like Dodge hit the mark with a leaking head gasket. That motor is original and fairly old if it has the H30 aluminum tag on it. You can cross those numbers and find your year..

Does anyone know how to adjust a diaphram carb I tried for a while but I couldn't fgure out which of the two screws on the outside do what

Yes I will help you.. :lol: someone will.. But this is a process to write out.. :lol: give me a minute. Maybe I can even find a video on youtube and save an hour of writing. :doah:

My brother completely messed with all of the screws a couple of months ago and do u know where I can get a new head gasket and the right carb?

The quickest way to check for spark and compression, is to give it a squirt of fuel into the carb throat, and give her a pull. There should be an "H" and an "L" by the screws, that should be right next to one another. Run them in until you feel them stop. Don't turn it in too hard. Now, back out the high speed screw 1 1/2 turns, and the low speed 1 turn out. That should get you in the ballpark. Final adjust after you have it running. Good luck. Scott.