Hi from future minibiker.....

wfc

Hi, I just happened to come across this forum two days ago while searching for ideas and insight for a go kart that I'm currently building. I dont hail from your side of the world, living in South Africa. Over here people dont seem to have much interest in things such as go karts, or minibikes for that matter... I know that's quite wierd, but nonetheless very true..... I don't have any logical explanation for this!

To be quite honest, I saw my first minibike exactly two days ago! I have subsequently spent all of my free time (and a lot that wasnt exactly free!) messing around all over this forum. The net result is that I have some major eye strain from glaring at one phenominal project after the other, and mentally I have just about assigned new futures to about every mower engine I have.... all of which are still needed to mow the grass, after all, I do live in Africa.

One bad thing about staying out here is that we dont seem to get any of the cool stuff you guys seem to have available so abundently. I am talking about things like a good set of wheels, custom clutches, custom headers, carbs, performance parts etc. The only way to obtain these things is through importing them. It sounds easy enough, but then you have to figure in our currency which fell off the bus somewhere and seems to have no real value in the outside world. the exchange rate to the dollar is currently in the region of 10:1 ouch.

All that means is that I simply have to make do with whats available, and try fabricate the rest as well as possible.

I actually do have a honda gx240 that is just begging to be utilised for more that just a garage ornament, so I guess I'll spend some more time looking around here, and start building a suitable minibike in due course

Great forum, very friendly, and very informative

Be Blessed all

Welcome WFC : When the project is still burning bright in your mind you have to think outside the box. Some things are just universal in use, like wheels to work they don't have to be fancy. A lot of industrial rental equipment have serviceable parts like wheels, shafts and hubs and usable engine clutches. I can imagine that shipping in parts or a frame would cost a bunch of money. Does your country have a VAT like a lot of countries do ? Keep checking in and looking around at all the photo's and albums it will help you search out facts and ask questions people here always ready to help. Good luck.
Steve :scooter:

if you ask in the wanted section, people might sell you used stuff for cheap.

international shipping doesn't cost that much (probably less than many of you expect). as long as you mark the package as a gift with a low value and used the taxes aren't nearly as bad on them. i deal with this stuff at work every day shipping Harley parts all over the world.

HELLO strigoi, might you have a guestament on shipping small mini bike over to af/
is it a long drawnd out item to get ther ? thanks wayne.:scooter::scooter:

i have no idea. the only things large things i've dealt with shipping are motorcycles and pallets full of parts.

if the box is over 130" (the limit for UPS, i'm sure others are about the same) you're going to have to freight them. search here and check out some of the shipping company sites. i'm sure you could get an estimate on most of their sites.

wfc

Hi Steven, as you say the more industrial bits are the logical choice. I am also working quite hard at building a gooood relationship with the local mower repair dude. He has quite a mountain of spares lying in a shed. Problem is, isnt always too keen on flogging the stuff as he can still use bits himself. I actually have quite a bit of stuff needed for the build though. A friend of mine was going to rebuild a Yamaha it490 enduro bike a few years ago. Took it appart to clean up and spray everything and then got sidetracked by his Lotus 7 he is building with a small block shevy motor:eek::thumbsup:. Anyway, some parts dissapeared on the bike and he gave it to me. I am quite sure that in that heap of scrap is a minibike just begging to jump to life...... after quite a bit of tinkering. The frame I'll build myself, and make a plan for the rest. By the way the motor is going on the off road gokart that I'm curently working on. A 500cc two stroke with serious attitude. The adrenaline that thing creates could fuel your space program for the next year!

wfc

Hi Fullthrottle, thanks for the offer, but I think I'll stay here for now. Too many people have left this country already. Its like you say, together we stand divided we fall.... Anyway besides the spares problem, and the high cost of living, the job shortages, continual striking, the massive inflation rate, goverment corruption, racial conflict this is a brilliant place to live! It would be just great to have easy acess to specialized parts though! In the meantime I'll just have to get by with a lot of drooling.

i used to have a YZ490 and it was hahahahaing scary fast . i wouldn't even want to try riding a kart or especially a mini bike with one of those motors in it. it was as fast as my friend's '01 Buell Cyclone with full exhaust, cams and a Mikuni on it.

wfc

Hi Strigoi

The kart that the motor is going on is being built as an off road kart with full suspension, rollcage and four point harness. The centre of gravity is very low, so cornering is quite easy, and the stearing is adjustable rack and pinion. The front suspension is off a yamaha blaster quad. The tyres and rims are also off a quad. It will still be a while before it can go on its first (carefull) run as I am curently still welding up the framework. The motor is scarily fast and powerfull, so initially at least I will be very carefull. Mind you, I may have to stay that way if I want to stay alive long enough to finish building the minibike project.

Motra

A kart like that would be a blast off-road. I used to race desert on YZ490s (I've had a few) and they are fast bikes, I have plenty of aches and pains and scars to prove it. That's why I stick to slow Tote Gotes now, I've turned into a wuss.