hooking up a throttle cable....

picked up a downdraft???at least that's what they guy said it was ...carb for my "project cheap minibike" off evilbay,,,but i don't see how to hook a throttle cable to it...

View attachment 10186

it appears as if the cable would have to come in from the bottom...i can't find any place to attach the cable....looked at the shaft mount systems and don't understand what angle to make it throttle up when ya pull on the cable....suggestions??????????thanks

GRE

i believe there is a flange that clamps on the brass shaft on the left of you photo. which will twist the shaft to open the buttlerfly, if that make sense

mr nu

I Think GRE Is right on the Money, It has to clamp on shaft and Give your cable something to Pull and twist Not sure where you could find one But someone here will ?
I could Make one up if i had the clamp part! Nu

ViperR

Thats a two piece FloJet carb and the cable comes up from under the engine and mount plate thru the back corner mounting hole. The cable cover is clamped in place on the engine below the carb and the exposed cable attaches to a 3" squared and bent rod that has a threaded end and adjustment tube seated where the top of the spring is hooked on the intake manifold. That top of the spring is nomally attached to the Pneumatic governor. That spring doesn't look like stock and seems much stronger than the regular governor spring. There should also be a 3/4" wire ("S" shaped) link that attaches to the gov lever and the throttle. I have that same carb and I'll post some pics, once I've finished restoring the Fox. Looks like you have no gov and the spring is for throttle return. You can directly attach a throttle cable to the lever and rely on a strong return spring to get your rpm down on throttle cable release, but you not going to have any advantages to a gov. Gotta watch your rpms and might need some sort of "drilled & tappped" stop screw opposite the idle stop screw, because that block only has it for idle. The block is the unit opposite your arm shown in your pic on that same shaft and connected to the lever that the spring is attached to. You could play with the tiny set screw for this arm for WOT setting. I'll get some pics up for you.
Vipe

Last edited:
picked up a downdraft???at least that's what they guy said it was ...carb for my "project cheap minibike" off evilbay,,,but i don't see how to hook a throttle cable to it...

View attachment 10186

it appears as if the cable would have to come in from the bottom...i can't find any place to attach the cable....looked at the shaft mount systems and don't understand what angle to make it throttle up when ya pull on the cable....suggestions??????????thanks
Updraft.

ViperR

OK,
Finally got some pics for your B&S 3hp w/two-piece FloJet carb. Here is what the linkage should look like:

Last edited:

bandit 40

View attachment 10186

topolino Kid I have a complete updraft carb if your interested you can have it for free just pay the shipping, Im not sure if it works it came on a 3hp briggs PM me if your interested Mark...............

Ive got the same carb setup on my 4HP. I dont mean to hijack your thread but i was wondering what the choke is supposed to look like on these because mine just has a hole where the choke should be

Thanks

Ive got the same carb setup on my 4HP. I dont mean to hijack your thread but i was wondering what the choke is supposed to look like on these because mine just has a hole where the choke should be

Thanks

I have this same carb and man is it a huge pain in the a$$!!! I spent most of the time putting together my speedway last night on this stupid throttle setup. Lacking the necessary material and patience I finally just rigged something up.
Below shows where I put the cable through the hole where the squared and bent rod was.

Here it shows where I took some solid wire from an outdoor home power cable and put into the hole of the throttle plate link closest to the engine block.

Here it shows where I coupled the solid wire and the throttle cable together.

Another overall shot. I used a heavy spring as well.

Once I get the material I need, hopefully I can come up with something better. I was not able to go from underneath because my throttle cable was too short. Good luck with this one!