How bad is USPS shipping?

It's not just the shipping. I mailed a check to the company I get my propane from. There business is about a 45 min. drive from my house. It took them 3 weeks to get it.

A lot of blame can be placed on Amazon. They got into a pissing match with UPS, wanting them to deliver on Sunday. UPS has a strong union and said no to Sunday deliveries. So Amazon now uses USPS a lot. Problem is USPS is not equipped to handle a lot of the packages. So the carrier loads what they can into their jeep or whatever until its full. Anything left over stays at the PO and you get a notice to pick up your package at the post office. For me, the PO is an hour round trip and probably a third of my deliveries end up like this. So I am starting to use Walmart to buy staples and parts and such. So far so good but I think Amazon screwed the pooch doing what they did, IMO

A lot of blame can be placed on Amazon. They got into a pissing match with UPS, wanting them to deliver on Sunday. UPS has a strong union and said no to Sunday deliveries. So Amazon now uses USPS a lot. Problem is USPS is not equipped to handle a lot of the packages. So the carrier loads what they can into their jeep or whatever until its full. Anything left over stays at the PO and you get a notice to pick up your package at the post office. For me, the PO is an hour round trip and probably a third of my deliveries end up like this. So I am starting to use Walmart to buy staples and parts and such. So far so good but I think Amazon screwed the pooch doing what they did, IMO
That's very different from my experience. I had 184 Amazon orders in 2023 (includes Amazon Fresh grocery delivery orders). Without spending the time to check each of those orders, I would estimate that around 90% of orders were delivered by Amazon. Only a small percentage were delivered by other carriers. My most recent delivery, a solar powered security camera so a small package, was delivered by USPS. It was delivered Jan 25 but USPS tracking's latest update still shows it arriving at the local PO the morning of Jan 25 (it's now the night of Jan 27). My point being that USPS tracking sucks as much as their delivery service. If USPS was to do what you mentioned, leave a notice to pick up at PO, I wouldn't do it, I'd request a full refund from Amazon and let Amazon deal with USPS. Another thing I dislike about USPS delivery is that I receive no notification and they don't ring the doorbell. With Amazon delivery, I get immediate email/text notification of delivery. UPS and FedEx ring the doorbell. USPS deliveries can sit around until I see it. I have motion detection on the porch but USPS doesn't step onto the porch to trigger it. Concerning your mention of USPS vehicle cargo capacity being a factor, I have had packages delivered by a USPS van, not by the letter carrier/vehicle, on occasion.

Screenshot 2024-01-27 221428.png

Screenshot 2024-01-27 221840.png
Screenshot night of Jan 27, package was delivered evening of Jan 25. :rolleyes:

That's very different from my experience. I had 184 Amazon orders in 2023 (includes Amazon Fresh grocery delivery orders). Without spending the time to check each of those orders, I would estimate that around 90% of orders were delivered by Amazon. Only a small percentage were delivered by other carriers. My most recent delivery, a solar powered security camera so a small package, was delivered by USPS. It was delivered Jan 25 but USPS tracking's latest update still shows it arriving at the local PO the morning of Jan 25 (it's now the night of Jan 27). My point being that USPS tracking sucks as much as their delivery service. If USPS was to do what you mentioned, leave a notice to pick up at PO, I wouldn't do it, I'd request a full refund from Amazon and let Amazon deal with USPS. Another thing I dislike about USPS delivery is that I receive no notification and they don't ring the doorbell. With Amazon delivery, I get immediate email/text notification of delivery. UPS and FedEx ring the doorbell. USPS deliveries can sit around until I see it. I have motion detection on the porch but USPS doesn't step onto the porch to trigger it. Concerning your mention of USPS vehicle cargo capacity being a factor, I have had packages delivered by a USPS van, not by the letter carrier/vehicle, on occasion.

View attachment 310723

View attachment 310724
Screenshot night of Jan 27, package was delivered evening of Jan 25. :rolleyes:
Charles I agree with most all of what your saying. However, we live in a small rural community. The PO carriers use their own vehicles and the PO doesn't have a delivery van. I'll chose UPS or Fedex way before I'd pick USPS. The main point I was making at least for my area, is the crappy USPS was overwhelmed by the rather sudden onslaught of packages from Amazon. I, too, buy most of my household needs, as well as, fun stuff from Amazon. So I get quite a few packages each month. I'm into fun stuff).

Charles I agree with most all of what your saying. However, we live in a small rural community. The PO carriers use their own vehicles and the PO doesn't have a delivery van. I'll chose UPS or Fedex way before I'd pick USPS. The main point I was making at least for my area, is the crappy USPS was overwhelmed by the rather sudden onslaught of packages from Amazon. I, too, buy most of my household needs, as well as, fun stuff from Amazon. So I get quite a few packages each month. I'm into fun stuff).
Considering how bad your USPS service is, consider contacting Amazon customer service and request that none of your orders ship via USPS. Explain that USPS doesn't actually deliver your orders and you have to travel to pick them up. I don't know whether Amazon would honor such a request but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Augiedoggie

I find USPS a huge pain in my ass for home deliveries and especially for my personal ebay shipments. When I ship stuff I need to go to Post Office because the pickup service is not reliable. If I pay ebay shipping fee and try to hand package off to postal employee only to receive a bit of stink eye while they re measure and re weigh my package and calculate different shipping charges than ebay has just charged and billed me for. They usually find "their" pricing higher than ebay and will require full shipping payment, forcing me to pay now and attempt to get refunded shipping charges from ebay. I recently started selecting FedEx and UPS as my ebay shipping choice and can simply drop off my stuff at local pharmacy or auto parts store or department store. Screw the USPS!!

Great... It's something I need ASAP... :mad:

Screenshot 2024-01-29 180548.png

Also, USPS still hasn't updated tracking on the camera that was delivered Jan 25...

Screenshot 2024-01-29 185947.png

It seems that the more I trash USPS, the more orders Amazon ships via USPS... I think I'll stop...

Oh, no! It's caught in a loop! Good luck...

USPS tracking on my package that was delivered Jan 25 (post #23) still hasn't updated. Just out of curiosity, I check occasionally to see if it has updated. I received the package but USPS's failure to update tracking is an indication of how screwed up they are. As far as Amazon knows, I never received it.

I've been waiting over a week for USPS to get a small box, maybe shoe box size, from New Jersey to North Carolina.
I have much better luck with USPS than I do with UPS.
I bought a part on Ebay, the seller took it to his local UPS pickup point. I assume it was at a local business. The part was placed on a table for pickup by UPS. Someone put the package on the floor, and the UPS driver did not pick it up. Weeks later, I contacted the seller, who was kind enough to go back to town and place the package where it would be picked up. That same package was delivered to a house about half a mile down the road from me. That resident was kind enough to bring it to me, because the address on the box was correct. I am 296, he is 692.

I've been waiting over a week for USPS to get a small box, maybe shoe box size, from New Jersey to North Carolina.
I have much better luck with USPS than I do with UPS.
I bought a part on Ebay, the seller took it to his local UPS pickup point. I assume it was at a local business. The part was placed on a table for pickup by UPS. Someone put the package on the floor, and the UPS driver did not pick it up. Weeks later, I contacted the seller, who was kind enough to go back to town and place the package where it would be picked up. That same package was delivered to a house about half a mile down the road from me. That resident was kind enough to bring it to me, because the address on the box was correct. I am 296, he is 692.
ALWAYS get a receipt at drop off.. I always make sure...it forces them to scan it in.. Fed up, UUps, USPOS... if it's not scanned in, you have no claim..

tomc

Back in November, actually the day before Thanksgiving, a guy in VA, about two hours from me here in NC, mailed me an envelope containing three old gun magazines. I got it in late March.
Efficiency? If we mail or neighbor across the street, about 150 yards from our door to theirs, a Christmas card, it goes to a post office halfway across the state before they get it three or four days later.