How to clean the frame before paint?

I have a couple of project frames that should be done with the "welding party" this weekend. Rust is gone, some old paint remains, but I do not care about that.
I want to remove the old engine oil and grease that remain. I am NOT a painter, mostly because I suck at spraying paint evenly, and partly because I paint over oil and rust.
What is a good way to get rid of the oil before I spray?
Wiping with a rag is not an option. Garden sprayer and pressure washer are immediately available.
Purple Power? Simple Green?

Harquebus

Shoot, for grease you can use ordinary Dawn [or equivalent] dish detergent then pressure wash it. A little Dawn goes a long way, and brush-scrub the joints and angles where the grease and oil typically accumulate, then rinse and let dry. *I have used a heat gun to radically quick-dry metal parts.

Also, aerosol oven cleaner [Easy-Off] or cheaper store brand alternative can handle most grease and paint.

Don't over-think this, any degreaser will work [but I prefer 'caustic' stuff more than Simple Green which I consider pretty weak]. I use PP full strength, rarely diluting it, but you can dilute it as it is a concentrate.

I use oven cleaner on small engines. In the case of these frames, most of the joints and crevices have recently been degreased by the welder.:cool:
I have a small bottle that connects to the pressure end of the small electric pressure washer. I think I may use that to spray Dawn at both frames and let that soak, then rinse with high pressure water. Repeat that with Purple Power and let that soak for an hour before I rinse it.
I have two frames to paint, so the time between soak and rinse will be close to "dry in the sun " time.
I appreciate the help. I HATE painting and I do not want to have to do this again. One of these is my "stupid three wheeler" which doesn't matter but the other one is my son's "only dumb three wheeler" and it matters very much to him that it is pretty. He is 10 years old and he was the chief designer on this project.

Harquebus

Good on you for being thorough with two or more applications of a cleaner-degreaser. Old frames are often CAKED with grease that has combined with dirt and multiple heat-cooling cycles to form a "concretion" that is hard or tougher than normal to remove. I'm saying this for everyone reading, expert and beginner.

I'm a better painter than I ever was and don't mind it too much, but it maybe the hassles and hatred are because of the tedious prep work? It can be a major drag if you lack patience. I don't blame you at all; it's a hassle, nerve wracking and so easy to mess up.

No greasy kerosene film, ready to paint after water rinse?
Works great on removing heavy grease / oil buildup. I have always used it as the first step. Never painted after just a water rinse. Step 2 would be to use wipe down with acetone or lacquer thinner to remove any oily film. To just spray a cleaner, water rinse and then paint…not sure what to use.

While on active duty, I remember spraying trucks with acetone and allowing them to air dry before thinning the lead-containing camo paint with GASOLINE before we painted the trucks. No respirators, no fire extinguishers and nobody gave a dang about runs in the finish.

USMC late seventies and early eighties.

That is a response to "Back in the day"...above^^^^^;)

Augiedoggie

Most of the current paint strippers don't work for shit. Oven cleaner is okay for some soft paints as long as it's the nasty stuff that burns the hair from your nose. The all natural citrus environmental sweet smelling stuff is trash. Best shit ever made for paint removal is CRC industrial gasket remover aerosol spray. It will absolutely remove everything but your ladies scowl when using it. Stinks like hell and you need a respirator for safe use. I have stripped powdercoat from motorcycle frames with it. Stuff is awesome but will take your breath away. Stock up before the tree hugger nitwits have it banned.

I assume that will also remove oil and grease. That looks like what I need.
Aircraft remover was once a powerful solvent, it now seems about as useless as Citrustrip.
Any can that lists methylene chloride as its active ingredient has got to be nasty.

I assume that will also remove oil and grease. That looks like what I need.
Aircraft remover was once a powerful solvent, it now seems about as useless as Citrustrip.
Any can that lists methylene chloride as its active ingredient has got to be nasty.
Agreed- Years ago "Aircraft Stripper" was the go-to. Once they took the Methylene Chloride out to make it "environmentally safe" it was no where near as good as it used to be.
Michael